OT: After 56 years, it all comes back as easy as bicycle riding...

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

hollow point ammo is banned for use in war,but not for civilian use. You CAN buy JHP ammo for both AK-47's and AR-15's. very tiny hollows....IIRC,it improves ballistics.

BTW,there are certain hollowpoint ammos that are "approved" for military use in war. mostly sniper rounds,IIRC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I guess that Geneva figured that if you are firing a killing shot, it shouldn't matter what mode the actual effector uses?

The HP explodes the guy's head.

Had he used a .50 cal, he would have vaporized it, so not much difference or point in mulling over the shape of the point. :-)

OK, so why then did they shoot down the neutron bomb?

I cannot understand their logic.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

That example is specific to land ( where the concept started ) but rents as a concept expands to fit other things as well.

Specific to GM, I'd say they extracted rents by using government as an aid to barrier to entry - although consolidation was *gonna* happen. it's kinda messy.

My main thing is: if GM wasn't riding rents, then the Japanese government would have been much less likely to use industrial policy to undermine Detroit. DEC was able to knock IBM off it's pedestal because IBM was overcharging for software - a different kind of rent ( you bought a computer, so we know we can charge you a lot of money to upgrade the O/S ). Some rents have nothing to do with government.

Second, Saturn never was a more serious marque than GM, so that provides a natural experiment which, IMO, says quality was not really the issue. There was something else...

And specific to labor law, the hand-in-glove, bootlegger-and-baptists aspect of the UAW within GM was rent-seeking... so any Congrefsperson who opposed GM was also opposing unions...

it's not exactly a perfect hypothesis, so... Curiously, the stuff Krugman did for his Nobel is probably more important to this than anything - comparative advantage is, as it turns out, more complex than we thought.

And finally, the closing of tall the dealerships under Obama is a big red flag that says something was going on. That's a little weaker tea, but I think it's significant.

The Drucker stuff is only useful in understanding how he influenced Japanese industrial policy in the postwar era. I believe Douglas MacArthur appointed Drucker to rebuild the Japanese economy.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

C,

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

For the Mosin-Nagant (7.62x54R) too!

Question for the hunters: for hunting, say, deer, is a soft point round better? Or hollow point?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

even a FMJ sniper bullet will do that.

IIRC,military HP rounds are not designed to expand like a handgun bullet. those hollow-points are TINY. it's more about ballistic trajectories and accuracy.

because of it's effects on the civilian population,and also that the neutron bomb still has the same blast and thermal effects of a regular nuke.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A lot of people use FMJ. It's cheaper (often 1/2 the price), it penetrates brush better, and doesn't make a mess of your venison roasts.

Reply to
krw

ote:

e:

  1. > >> >>> >> > But, IIRC correctly, both were designed to incapacitate rathe=

ng

ry

ates

Oh, okay. I was under the impression FMJ was less humane (supposedly just penetrates the animal) but I'm glad to see that my impression was wrong.

Plus I've got quite a bit of FMJ anyway.

Me, to a co-worker: "You think it was a mistake for me to buy 900 rounds of ammo? I think you are right. I should have bought 1800 rounds of ammo." We were all laughing afterwards. :)

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Not right or wrong, just different priorities. Most hunters I know don't just wing the animals. A good body shot with either will bring a deer down.

Oh, commie ammo. ;-) How dirty is it?

Reply to
krw

ote:

ote

rote:

R-15.

ther

eving

her

C,

.

mo

itary

ates

't just

Not too bad! I like the smell while it's fired. I just clean the barrel with boiling water afterwards (corrosive ammo), put a little bit of Hoppe's oil in the barrel, and use a gun snake to spread the oil out. =3D)

Honestly I bought the Mosin-Nagant because it was the cheapest rifle; $109 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It was made in 1938 in Tula, Russia I believe. It's kind of nice to also own a little bit of history while defending the home. =3D)

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

wrote

AR-15.

rather

rieving

ither

IRC,

se.

ammo

ilitary

trates

on't just

n.

..

If you want to own a little bit of _American_ history, the Civilian Marksmanship Program still sells M1 Garands to civilians at a semi- reasonable price.

spamtrap1888

AR-15.

rather

retrieving

military

penetrates

just

Yeah, I don't like shooting cheap ammo in my guns. I'm not prompt enough cleaning them. A lot of the stuff I've gotten from gun shows is really dirty.

Very cool (bookmarked - might buy one)! Some years back a friend scored an IBM M1 for $100 from the US government.

Reply to
krw

A Razor point and a bow. Far more gratifying upon success..

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

That is silly. ALL nukes have an equal effect on ALL exposed populations.

Ummm... nope. It is like a bright light bulb in the sky. Whether you are looking or not, if the "light" falls upon you, you will likely die. Nowhere near the same blast or heat.

It is far different than those specifically designed for blast effect.

Hydrogen Cobalt comes to mind.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

That's funny.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

sorry,but both neutron and ordinary nuke warheads are usually air burst at around 3000 ft AGL. they both have the same blast and thermal radius for a given yield.

Nukes are not "designed for blast effect". they're designed for yield. the blast effect comes naturally.

you're wrong.

a "cobalt" bomb is a DIRTY bomb,intended to spread long-lived radiocobalt and poison the land for centuries. cobalt doesn't change the nuclear yield at all.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm not a hunter,but....YMMV. it depends on the cartridge you're using,the rifle caliber,several variables. many hunters use Nosler ballistic tip,that have a plastic point that retains aerodynamics yet aids in reliable expansion once inside the animal.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I never said "a cobalt bomb", DUFUS!

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Just what do you think cobalt is going to do in a nuke, AlwaysWrong?

Reply to
krw

At least you don't go to jail for eating a Moose. Assuming you eat what you kill :-)

This weeks menu:

- grilled Moose

- kooked Moose

- minched Moose

- Moose liver on rucola

- Moose spare ribs

- Moose kebab

- roasted Moose

Repeat ad nauseam

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I don't think I've ever eaten Moose. I've had Venison and Buffalo. ...Jim Thompson