OT: After 56 years, it all comes back as easy as bicycle riding...

The statistics tell a different story. In any event, having a gun in the makes it appreciably more likely that you or one of your nearest and dearest, will make a successful suicide attempt. You are much more likely to lose your life in that way than you are to be threatened in some kind of home-invasion. Both risks are small, but the home invasion risk is a lot smaller.

But having a gun in the house exposes you to violence against yourself, which turns out to be a much bigger risk than home invasion.

Preferably something that you and your loved ones can't turn against themselves. Tasers and pepper sprays aren't usually fatal.

But an ill-inforned liberal.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

That was a Sarah Palin reference. I'm not sure she ever actually shot a moose from a helicopter, but it was all over the news and cyberspace a couple years back. Jim's a big "Going Rogue" fan, so I figured he'd appreciate the notion.

Of course, it's probably too damn hot in Arizona for moose, so he'd have to settle for a a gila monster! Smaller target (I think?), and makes for better sport anyway. :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

What a bunch of crap. There may be a correlation between having a gun and having a successful suicide. But correlation does not mean there is a cause and effect. Sloman's bias and lack of understanding statistics shows here. There is a book " Freakonomics " that talks about the real statistics of gun ownership. Swimming pools are much more likely to result in death than guns.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

You think???

Jeez, dude. When you find a lizard that comes anywhere close to the size of a MOOSE, post a picture!

The closest is a gator or croc or monitor, but even those don't even get close.

A Gila monster ain't much bigger than a taco doggy, if that.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

He'll never get that one. The idiot will claim that gun discharges contribute to global warming next.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

There's no rational argument to get. He's just a rightwing nitwit saying that he disagrees with me, but failing to adduce a shred of evidence to support his point of view.

They do. It's an utterly negligible contribution, so I wouldn't actually waste any time telling anybody about it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You'd like to think so.

There is. In fact it's more than just a correlation - there's a similar association for female chemists who attempt suicide no more frequently than other professional women, but succeed a lot more frequently because they have access to fast-acting poisons.

In this case, the cause - easy access to death-dealing equipment - and the effect - more frequent success in attempted suicide - is blindingly obvious to anybody with more sense than a right-wing nitwit.

- towards rationality -

I don't share your "understanding" of statistics, which involves ignoring all the evidence that doesn't suit your point of view. I don't expect that I ever will.

of gun ownership.

I've got a copy of it, and read it with some enthusiasm. Clearly less selectively than you did.

Perfectly true, but perfectly irrelevant. Swimming pools aren't bought for self-protection. Guns are, and they actually make life more dangerous.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Huh? What a pile of the usual Slowman bull-crap. Guns are NOT cheap. People are arming themselves because they fear their government. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks! Go Giants! ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well, is has been about 45 years that I fired a gun, but I still remember the instructors words: "Never ever point a firearm to a human being unless you are prepared to use it."

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Tom Biasi wrote in news:4fc7ea46$0$1243$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

ever read Unintended Consequences by John Ross?

Will you wait until the gungrabbers are right outside YOUR home before doing anything? it's too late,then.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Dan Coby wrote in news:yYednRNzDIx_a1rSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Actually,it's the anti-gun folks that have the manhood problems,according to Freud.

PLONK.

it takes some intestinal fortitude to use a firearm in self-defense. It takes courage to decide to act in self-defense.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Tom Biasi wrote in news:4fc81738$0$6056$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

"When seconds count,police are minutes away". "Police are never around when you need one." "call 911 and die" "criminals prefer unarmed victims."

and something I wrote after the Zimmerman-Martin shooting;

Self-defense doesn't come under Marquis of Queensbury rules. In self-defense,there's no such thing as a "fair fight",none of that "proportionality" nonsense. You should not have to absorb punches just for the "well-being" of your "unarmed" attacker. Once a person begins punching or beating on you HOW do you know he's going to stop before you are dead? You want to rely on the "good intentions" of a guy who is pounding your face in? People HAVE died from a single punch to the head,and people also have died from striking their head when they fell from being punched. Or you might lose an eye,or become partially paralyzed. You might need facial reconstruction. ANY attack can quickly turn lethal or into "great bodily harm". Restrictions on use of lethal force in self- defense only protects the attacker. If you don't want to get shot,don't attack people.Especially in states that allow concealed carry.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

don't fret about what the weenie hoplophobe said. it's nonsense from a fool.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Usery Pass Shooting Range was a fascinating place... everyone had a hand-gun, probably 50% of the participants had AR15's, AK47's or equivalent. Another 30% had rifles of some variety... only 20% were hand-gun only. ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why does anyone bother responding to Slowman? He's Weapons-Grade Stupid.

Killfile him and forget about him. I did.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I felt pretty good hitting the target at all :-) ...Jim Thompson

I think you're right. Anyone who brings up such a comparison I automatically label as a fairy.

Indeed! ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Consider that in the LA riots,Korean shopkeepers used Ruger ranch rifles(.223 "assault weapons") to keep the rioting mob from torching the shops that they lived above and burning them and their families alive. Police REFUSED to enter the riot zone to protect the citizens.

there's a good argument for 30 round magazines,not that we need any reason to own them. the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or sporting.

Consider that in any natural disaster,police may be unable (or unwilling) to respond,and you're on your own. BTW,police do NOT have to come when you call 911. They might be busy elsewhere,or be blocked by fallen trees,high water,earthquake-ruined roads,downed power lines,bad weather,all sorts of reasons. In Hurricane Andrew,police were unable to respond to 911 callls,and in

2004,during Hurricane Charlie,TV news stations told people that police would not respond while the storm was still ongoing.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

30 feet is not too bad for one-handed,that's about the limit for "self- defense" anyways. One must consider where their missed rounds will end up...

When I shot the M-16 in basic training,I really liked the gun. AR-15 is the civilian equivalent of it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik