OT: After 56 years, it all comes back as easy as bicycle riding...

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

FYI,the pistol George Zimmerman used in the Trayvon Martin shooting was a Kel-Tec PF-9. Made in Florida. 7 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber.

also,the 9x19 round(9 Luger) has a lot more power than a .380 auto round(9x17),and uses much heavier bullets. So I would not consider the BG-380 a lot of "firepower".

.380 is considered minimum for self-defense. it's a 90-95 gr slug at 1000 FPS,while 9 Luger is 115-147gr at 1100-1400 FPS.(the heavier bullets being slower)

Personally,I'm not real enthused about Glocks. a record of too many negligent discharges,and it has a funky method of trigger "safety".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi Jim,

What do you think of the Kel-Tec's? I've seen mixed reviews. I agree with you, I was not all that impressed with the Glock... my son cc's the S&W BG-380. ...Jim Thompson

Jim,

9mm and 380's are not considered "such firepower". In a self defense situation you really don't know what would suffice. Practice and training so that you do not hesitate to respond is far better than just a big gun however.

Good luck and keep shooting.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Thanks! I certainly don't have a cavalier attitude toward guns... I can't say I was very comfortable at all with that. I'll take all the courses. ...Jim Thompson

1911A1 any day.
Reply to
tm

Cargill

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

chir>>>>>

scenario.

-

al-motors/

even

as

least

England

Got some studying to do. Thranx Les. I hope to get back to you soon.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

government

Big time thanks. That should be played in every grade school classroom twice a year for the next 90 years.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I haven't fired any,but I hear that people really like them. they've sold over 180,000 of the PF-9's in the US,according to the Orlando Sentinel article about Zimmerman's gun.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Tom Biasi wrote in news:4fcc0fd1$0$6039$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

in many foreign nations,9 Luger/Parabellum/9x19 is or used to be considered a "military caliber" and too powerful for civilians,thus the advent of the lesser .380auto/9x17 cartridge.

9 Luger caliber became popular with the advent of the "Wondernines" that had double stack 13-17 round magazines instead of the usual 6-8 rounds single stack mags as in .45auto.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Wow. I love it. Shared it on Facebook. Wow. Thank you.

(Still amazed)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Was this the very first handgun he'd fired?

Almost seems negligent for the drill sergeant to not allow them to fire something smaller (even a .22 handgun) before moving up to the .

45.
Reply to
Michael

Politicians are understandably nervous about bringing back large groups of guys all at once who are well-trained and have survived actual combat situations.. not that they are particularly looking for a fight, but they can't easily be intimidated if a fight is called for. A few dozen vets held off 100+ deputies (according to Wikipedia).. and won.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

e:

A good fight song helps heaps too.

Disciple - Game On

=3D)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 08:19:44 -0700 Jim Thompson >

Sigh... *plonk*. It's starting to get crowded in there...

--
Men seldom show dimples to girls who have pimples.
Reply to

We do NOT need your pathetic filter file edit session announcement posts, you retarded f*ck!

Reply to
Bart!

Back in the dark ages, when I tried to qualify with the .45, I got on to the range, took aim, and saw a big burst of dirt about a foot in front of the target. Took aim again, aimed a little high, and saw a burst of dirt directly below the target. The range master/instructor was yelling at me, and I told him there was something wrong wth the pistol. He give me a dirty look, took the weapon, aimed...

and there was a burst of dirt a foot in front of the target... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Get over it.

*plonk*
--
So this is what it feels like to be potato salad
Reply to

Try again on a good fight song. I can hear the drums, bass, guitars, and vocals; but the words are not understandable and the total effect is more like noise than singing.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

nd

LOL. Maybe it's a generation thing.

Honestly, if he didn't scream the words, it wouldn't have the right effect.

"Are you ready for me? 'Cause I'm ready for YOU!"

Almost makes you feel sorry for the bad guy. Cuz he's going down.

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

you

Remember that correlation is not causation. Actually the work that led to this conclusion was based on an epidemiological technique called the "case-control" method. This is useful for diseases like toxoplasmosis: if the pregnant women who contract it are all cat owners or gardeners, probably the disease has something to do with cats or dirt. Here, per this method, people who were shot dead were compared to people who lived nearby (but not right next door) who were not shot dead.

Per the last report, the shot dead people were more likely to be (in order):

Renters vs. homeowners Non-dog owners vs. dog owners Gun owners vs. non-gun owners

So any risk of gun ownership can be more than wiped out by buying a house and a dog.

While guns should be treated like anything else that you might hurt yourself or someone else with, they need no more care than do similar objects such as knives and power tools -- they have no psychic powers of their own. If you are depressed and suicidal, giving yourself another method of self-slaughter is not the best idea. Further, even if you are just a little bit nutty and undisciplined, most likely buying a gun is not the smartest idea.

Taser does not sell to consumers, and where I live pepper sprays are banned above the dog-incapacitating level.

I will borrow an idea from the medico's notebook and say that Americans enjoy relative freedom from assaults, home invasions, and residential burglaries because of widespread gun ownership -- why would criminals take a chance on getting shot, when there are easier ways to steal a living? Americans thus enjoy "herd immunity" as if they had all been vaccinated against the crime microbe.

Reply to
spamtrap1888