OT: After 56 years, it all comes back as easy as bicycle riding...

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Handgun ownership is perfectly legal in Chicago, as long as it is registered. The problem came when Jane Byrne quit supplying the registration forms.

I do know several Chicagoans who have handguns legally, they just store them outside city limits.

But the classic home defense weapon is the 12 ga. pump. Racking the slide provides an audible deterrent, and the projectiles are not likely to penetrate several layers of drywall into the neighbor's apartment.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Didn't Canada Customs confiscate your guns at the border? Or did you preregister them? Further, Toronto's level of gun control is about as strict as Chicago's.

In terms of risk to a traveller's life, Chicago is no more dangerous than San Francisco, where a German tourist was shot to death last year in the Union Square neighborhood.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

So, you think that Mitt sincerely believes in whatever he says that you happen to agree with? And that everything else is protective cover to help him get elected, pure bullshit?

Talk about gullible.

Sounds like the Calvinistas of Western Michigan. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

But what if, under the "throw the bastards out" policy, we end up with Speaker Pelosi again?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I can shoot much more accurately with an AK-type than an AR-15. But, IIRC correctly, both were designed to incapacitate rather than kill, to sideline enemy shooters to the task of retrieving casualties.

For low cost practice without the flinching caused by such loads, I recommend a nice .22 rifle and a Buckmark pistol.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2= =A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0...Jim

ME

s are

't

ot

..

This would be good for people who like to do target shooting, stuff like that. For self-defense, it's not so great.

True. I think that just hearing the sound would stop anyone with an ounce of brains (assuming he recognized what it was).

I'm not exactly sure what the laws are about shotguns in the city. Supposedly they're legal; however, I understand that it's hard to get the necessary paperwork done (perhaps it's the lack of registration forms?).

I'll have to content myself with pepper spray. That should take care of any criminal coming in. If it's the government gone nuts, they'll likely have face masks to protect them, so then I'm screwed. But as I say, I'm thinking the government is going to hold on until I'm long gone.

--=20 In charity there is no excess. -- Francis Bacon

Reply to
chiron613

Back when the 1911A1 was state of the art, my dad preferred revolvers. When you absolutely, positively have to kill someone...

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Hey, I wasn't there, I just linked it.:-)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You are beyond retarded, you dumb sumbitch!

Reply to
Herbert John "Jackie" Gleason

Has anybody done a study on the incidence of home invasions in towns with a large population of prison guards, compared with those that don't?

I remember a motel clerk in Susanville, CA telling me "You don't need to worry, here, this is a gun-toting town, Half the population work at the prison. You can leave your door open."

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I didn't have a gun then, but Canadian Customs had a fit when I showed them my pepper spray. I thought I was going to be arrested.

Now that you mention it, I flew to Seattle, got a rental car and drove to Vancouver last year. Canadian Customs detained me for an hour (apparently driving by myself was suspicious). They had me give them my wallet, cell phone and car keys. The guard was going through my wallet, and asked me "Is this a receipt for a firearm?" "Yes." I had bought my Mosin-Nagant a few days earlier, and had the 10-day background check paperwork folded in my wallet, otherwise I knew I would forget to bring it with me when the time came.

That was fun. =3D)

Reply to
Michael

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:47:10 -0700

Sure I am.

*plonk*
--
BOFH excuse #86:

Runt packets
Reply to
chiron613

Not really. McCarthy and the sub-committee for un-American Activities was equally potty, and the electorate fixed that

So what else is new?

They probably wouldn't. Your government is nowhere near mad enough to run that risk.

A single armed attacker, or a couple of attackers, aren't a trained army. Pepper spray is probably worth the trouble. Making sure that you stay away from places where you might need it is an even better approach.

Dream on. A lightly armed rabble is of no miliary significance at all.

That's the way police forces work, everywhere. You can tame them a bit by coming down hard on the most obvious psychopaths, but ti's a job that appeals to people who shouldn't be allowed to do it.

They'll give a rat's ass if the supply of weapons is cut off, and the mutineers get supplies from across the border. Remember Libya.

It happens. Franco died in bed.

On this point, no. The argument for owning a gun for personal defence doesn't hold water. There are lots of other reasons for owning a gun, but a gun is a dangerous thing to have around the house, and the "self- defence" argument is simply nonsense.

On this point? You've got to be insane to think so.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Doesn't work too well with a suicidally fanatical,enemy. Either they just move on, or pop the poor bastard, then move on.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

RC

=A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

Then, uh, don't use full-metal-jacket ammunition, then?

Reply to
Michael

My son told me the type, but I can't remember what it's called now... there's an ammo type (*) that splits and tumbles upon entry... "take no captives" ;-)

(*) Presently available to citizens... stock up now. ...Jim Thompson

IIRC

ust

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Frangible? Hollow-point?

Reply to
Michael

Frangible? Certainly. But not officially hollow-point, which, IIRC, is banned. ...Jim Thompson

ut, IIRC

y just

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Hollow-point is banned?

Reply to
Michael

IIRC

just

IIRC, by some International Fairy Treaty of "War". But I think some police use is allowed.

But you can always use a file and a drill ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I hope you understand the Nymbecile has over 100 sockpuppets. DimBulb's only used a few of them in this thread.

Reply to
krw