OT: After 56 years, it all comes back as easy as bicycle riding...

circa 1830:

1942:

I'm sure I've missed a few other instances.

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

ote:

ght

ding

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

ven

.

nd

ears

ld

ME

eap.

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

.357

my

ll. =A0I

Oh, why? They're easier to reload than revolvers, right? Just drop in another loaded magazine. As far as magazine springs wearing out, my co-worker tells me the trick is to not load the magazine all the way.

However I must admit, I know little about handguns. I prefer rifles at the moment.

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"herding them off into camps or enslaving them"

See:

tm

The last thing I fired was a M16 to re qualify a few weeks before I was discharged from active duty. I still prefer the M60 and the M72. :)

Michael A. Terrell

You can smell the ammonia formed from the high pressures from the 50.

Quite a round. I fired a few in a Barrett last week. About $5 per round.

Reply to
tm

I know so.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

I understood everything that Sloman said. But just think he is not nearly as bright as he thinks he is. There are lots of ways to kill oneself. Cars work very well ,but someone who commits suicide using a car , is not likely to be thought of as a suicide. If you really want to commit suicide, you will find a way. Guns just are an easy way to do it. So if you have a gun and want to die, you are likely to use the gun. No gun, just use a car.

I agree if you do not keep a gun, it is very unlikely that you will commit suicide with the gun you do not have.

Some guns are bought for self defence, but most guns are not bought for that reason. Most gun owners have more than one gun and you really only need one for self defence. More typical gun owners have one or more shotguns. A skeet shooter is likely to have both a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge so they can shoot in more than one class. Then one might also have a couple of trap guns. In the same way a pistol shooter might have several pistols so they can shoot in different classes. And the same with rifles. And that is just talking about guns for target shooting. A hunter will want different guns. Here one might want a shotgun with a slug barrel and also a muzzle loader. No bolt action rifles allowed for deer hunting here. But where rifles are permitted one might want a high powered .22 for wood chucks and another rifle for deer. And the deer rifle is likely to be too light for moose and bear.

So if one has some guns for hunting, how much more risk do you think one incurs by owning one additional gun. And if you do not have a gun for hunting , what do you use when you go hunting? I am really against using bows. This year there was one deer dead in our yard killed by an arrow. Bow hunting is too likely to not kill the deer quickly and let the deer run off and die slowly.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thermite & grenade launchers are a lot more fun. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Are you sure? Do you even know what the combustion products are? Are you aware that there are hundreds of different powder formulations?

I think you are without a clue about gun powders, much less what their combustion products are.

IF any at all. But YOU wouldn't and do not know.

Everything you write that someone else reads is a waste of their time.

Reply to
MrTallyman

You know, I read your response here, I smiled, then I realized I wasn't aware of whom you replying to. So I scrolled up! Ah, it's slow-Man! It all came full circle after that! ;)

Like the Monk walking in the pizza shop and saying "Make me one with every thing "!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

This immediately came to mind:

brent

No, different point entirely. I was trying to say that I don't think much of S&W autos, OTOH their revolvers are top notch. If you want a really nice 9mm, the 92FS Inox is it, IMO. All of my guns are a bit big to carry concealed but they're fun on a Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking about a Walther PPK/S for carry and something my wife can handle. She thinks mine (other than the Browning Buckmark) are too heavy. I'm also keeping an eye out for a .45, perhaps a 1911.

My son is the same way. I much prefer handguns. As a bonus, they do more to drive the lefties nuts.

Reply to
krw

...and China, even more.

The government has already gone berserk. It's the frog-in-the-pot scenario.

Reply to
krw

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2= =A0 =C2=A0...Jim Thompson

e NOT

Sure. But the pot probably won't really boil until I'm long gone...

Anyway, living in Chicago, it's very difficult to have a legal weapon. Handguns are forbidden. Rifles are technically legal, if you have a firearm owner's ID. However, buying a rifle and getting it home would be a problem - carrying a weapon is illegal.

So as long as I'm here, I probably won't have any effective weapon, frogs in pots notwithstanding. If the government goes nuts, I'm toast, basically...

--=20 Virtue does not always demand a heavy sacrifice -- only the willingness to make it when necessary. -- Frederick Dunn

Reply to
chiron613

Ah, yes. It's all coming back to me now. You are correct.

--=20 BOFH excuse #11:

magnetic interference from money/credit cards

Reply to
chiron613

Yes. That was kind of skipped over when I was taught history, but it's a shameful example of our government going nuts.

--
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.
		-- Anonymous

Maybe so - but whose fault is it, if they keep reading? Kind of hard for anyone to force you to read what he writes, if you choose not to do so.

--
Satire is what closes in New Haven.
Reply to

Because that more closely resembles a "run and gun" scenario, which is more likely what one would find one's self in.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

You *are* allowed to move to a freer state, you know! Unlike folks in the Soviet era. My son spent a day playing with his classmate whose family came from Serbia. I had a nice long chat with his dad, who told me what life was like in the Soviet Union. You needed a permit from the government to visit another city. However, obtaining permission to visit Yugoslavia was fairly easy, so many Russian tourists went there.

Chicago just scares me for some reason. On the drive from Sacramento to Toronto and back, we just scooted through Chicago as quickly as we could, and spent the night in Des Moines, IA. =3D)

Reply to
Michael

ot

..

Sure, I know I could move, but everyone I know is here, and this is what I know. I'm not too worried about the government getting crazy during my lifetime - I'm 60 - so I don't feel a great pressure to get out of here so I can get a gun. Maybe I might change my mind after the election... who knows?

In the Soviet Union, you couldn't even rent out a hotel room in the city you lived in. The authorities figured you couldn't have a legitimate reason for doing it. Then again, you could go to prison just for complaining about the government. We've still got it pretty easy, compared to that...

Chicago isn't all that bad. You get the idea that big cities are dangerous because that's what the news broadcasts. Out of 3 million people, you have a couple who go nuts, and it seems like the whole city is in chaos. I think the murder rate here is around 1000, probably less (I just don't remember). Most of it's gang on gang, with some collateral damage because they can't shoot straight.

I only got mugged once, and that was my fault. I was wandering around at 4 AM, and a couple of guys started some shit with me. Instead of just moving along, I stopped to fight. They trounced me, knocked me out and started kicking me (which woke me up - I guess it worked like slapping). I pepper sprayed them and they ran off. But it was my fault for trying to take on two guys. Other than that, I've never had a problem, and I'm out wandering around any time of the day or night.

--=20 Women are not much, but they are the best other sex we have. -- Herold

Reply to
chiron613