Equipment as old as me.

I received a Boonton 160A Q meter in the mail, today, another eBay special, and I think we are both about the same age. They were made from 39 to 52 but there is a 49 stamped on the metal case, so I suspect at least the case was fabbed that year, the same year I was.

Anyway, I spent a couple hours cleaning up 50 some years of grime and dust and lubricated the shaft bearings, and fired it up. All of two triodes and a rectifier tube. And the dang thing seems to work just fine. I will be using it to test the Q of some ferrite rod antennas at various frequencies, since its oscillator covers 50kHz to 75MHz.

The only repair it needs is a new power cord, but I think I will try to shorted it, to remove the worst cracked spot, to keep it as original as possible.

Now I need to find the Boonton RF capacitance bridge I used in a college lab (just because I enjoyed using it). That was a real boat anchor, twice as large as this unit. But I don't know what the model number was.

Reply to
John Popelish

John, I built a commercial TV station about 15 years ago with an old RCA TTU-25B 25 KW UHF TV transmitter that was built the year and month I was born. It was strange seeing some of the QA stamps with my actual birth date.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida