Lithium batteries, not worth it

And people wonder why suicides with firearms shoot themselves.

"Razors pain you, rivers are damp, acids stain you, drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful, nooses give, gas smells awful; you might as well live."

Dorothy Parker

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote

Nembutal doesnt.

Helium works fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

From what our chemistry taught us many years ago, when it is there, but stops being stinky, it is up towards lethal levels.

Reply to
SteveW

I'm surprised they don't use fentanyl. It appears to be very effective and I assume the cops have a lot of seized evidence if they haven't sold it on the side. Instead they use some mysterious combination that doesn't work half the time. I'm not big on coddling felons but if that isn't cruel and unusual punishment I don't know what is.

Reply to
rbowman

You have to get out more often.

Factoid of the day: The Germans weren't stupid and realized hydrogen filled zeppelins weren't the best idea but the US had a monopoly on helium production and banned export. The US seems to be up to it again:

rbowman

Nope, trivially buyable for stuff a trivial as party balloons.

But not problem for stuff a trivial as party balloons.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I never understood how they made a living but the space where the local party store was is now up for lease. It probably was more than helium. I often walk over the the adjacent market to get something for dinner and people stuffing balloons in their cars was a common sight. No more. I've no idea if there is another store in town.

Reply to
rbowman

That's the price in the UK for Lipo batteries.

Reply to
TTman

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote

Our main seller of helium for party balloons sells a hell of a lot more than just party supplys and is still doing fine.

Its hardly surprising that an operation that does nothing but partys would be affected by covid.

Corse it was.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I never went into the store but I was amazed it lasted. We have a constant turnover of hippy-dippy little ventures with the life span of a mayfly. Not that I have anything against hippies but it must take a goodly quantity of good dope to think you can make a living selling teddy bears with the store front rentals as costly as they are.

Reply to
rbowman

We did have one party operation. Not sure if it still operates but it never operated out of a store front rental, just a massive great tin shed in the industrial area.

Reply to
Rod Speed

False. For filling balloons, an impure (He-N2 mixture) is distributed in low pressure tanks (maybe 50 psi). For welding, a nitrogen tank would be at 2000psi, with a LOT more cubic feet of gas, at standard temperature and pressure. Those tanks are heavy, steel, and take a deposit, but are relatively inexpensive to refill.

Helium is a scarce item, and liquid helium is almost always NOT vented to atmosphere as it boils, but carefully collected for reuse.

Reply to
whit3rd

There's also small N2 tanks used by home brewers trying to DIY guinness I don't know know how they compare with the baloon gas tanks for volume but they seem to come at about the same price.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The point of camping is to get away from civilisation. I never take a phone. Or a stove for that matter. Bring cold food, no cooking equipment to carry!

I have two, the size of a mobile phone. I bought one, it claimed 20,000mAh. I tested it and of course it wasn't. Seller lied and said "must be faulty, we will send another". I accepted two for the price of one. One will in fact start a car, and two will start a lorry.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How absurd. I ran out of petrol and one simply came out with 5 litres in a can, I gave him some cash and that was it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey

I wonder why they call them sixpacks when most folk have eight? Only short folk have 6.

Or under pressure.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey is a very dim wanker.

The critical temperature for hydrogen is -240C - it can't exist as a liquid above that temperature, no matter how high the pressure.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Then you have the worst of both worlds.

Reply to
rbowman

Hey Bozo, the real problem is less the lithium, which is problematic, but cobalt, which uses child labor to extract. All batteries have their issues, which ONLY is an issue for the mindless electrification of the world in place of fossil fuel energy generation which doesn't use batteries at all.

Reply to
Flyguy