Lithium ion battery replacement with higher capacity

I'm trying to source a replacement lithium ion battery for a laptop (an Advent 6412 as it happens). The original is rated at 14.8V, 3600mAh. Various vendors seem to have correctly-shaped batteries at this voltage but at 3900mAh, 4000mAh or 4400mAh. I've read that Li-ion batteries are rather fussy about their charging capability to prevent them exploding. I know with NiCds you can replace batteries with higher capacity ones without problems: it may be that the battery management circuit won't use the extra capacity but that's not a big deal. Does this apply to Li-ion batteries too, or must the capacity be an exact match? I can see potential for the on-battery processor just telling the laptop it's a higher capacity battery and amending the charge regime appropriately - is this what happens to make use of the extra capacity?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The higher capacity battery will be fine if they are indeed correct for your laptop model, and the charging circuit will probably make full use of the extra capacity. These charging systems are intelligent and will charge the battery until it is full.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D