Unprotected lithium-ion batteries?

Specifically, I'm talking about 18650 lithium-ion batteries, assuming Panasonic brand 3400 mAh made in Japan.

Used in a Fenix HL55 headlamp.

Or, generally speaking, what's the relative risk of using unprotected lithium-ion batteries versus their protected counterparts. Assuming normal quality batteries.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Hi John,

The protected cells are less likely to burn during charging, but are just as likely to burn while mounted on your head. Some of the risks are

3rd degree burns, lithium poisoning and brain damage.

The cells contain an impressive amount of energy, which during a fault can come back out in a very short time. If you've never seen one fault, it's a bit like a small rocket engine, but with lots more smoke. The legal guys use terms like 'rapid disassembly' to describe the process. Try googling lithium ion battery accident. I would not strap one to my head.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

ChesterW wrote in news:9biCw.545756$rq4.352572 @fx27.iad:

lol

A small rocket engine blasting to one side on your fourhead. That's exactly what I was thinking.

--

> but with lots more smoke. The
> legal guys use terms like 'rapid disassembly' to describe the process.
> Try googling lithium ion battery accident. I would not strap one to my
head.

> ChesterW

Reply to
John Doe

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:06:56 +0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe wrote in :

Oh me oh my, I walked around with a blue tooth headset yesterday to align an antenna, it has a Lipo in it.

Maybe you use one in the car.

And beware of spiders.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's a good point. I also have a Bluetooth wireless headset that has a lithium-ion battery (probably not lithium-polymer).

There is a need for concern considering the fact that Amazon, eBay, and others sell batteries of unknown origin. Apparently some of them, especially those with false ratings, are potentially hazardous, sold by corrupt companies. Talking about rechargeable lithium-ion batteries sold separately for use in any compatible device.

Reply to
John Doe

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:22:36 +0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe wrote in :

I had it open a while ago, looks like the usual lipo to me, should have taken the serial number, oh wait I did, lemme look, here you can see the numbering:

it is the 150 mAh version.

Yes, I have several (you can safely say many) of that from ebay, some of the 1 Ah protected ones (that carry the Varta label, dunno if it really IS Varta). So far not a problem, one gets charged every day, mm make that 3. I use a Microchip charger chip.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, especially beware of spiders, or at least take care to read the warning labels. Where I live we have spiders that are black with red hour glass marks on the outside. I suppose the translation from spider language would read "watch out, bad juju".

Maybe we should derive warning symbols from this kind of natural language.

I was involved in an experiment once where we measured the galvanic skin response of subjects as we showed them different images. We always got a large response from basic natural threat images such as a snarling dog or a snake showing its fangs.

Anyhow, don't strap lipos or spiders to your head. Also, not snakes. That's a general rule. Anything else should be OK.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

On a sunny day (Wed, 11 Feb 2015 02:50:52 -0600) it happened ChesterW wrote in :

Right, animal language, yellow colors (wasps) and some other patterns are a danger sign.

Been bitten several times here by spiders, over here they are not really dangerous, just itches a few hours, take a magnifying glass and you see 2 small holes... like a snake byte, but closer to each other, Was down under in Queensland in the fields, there are very deadly ones and snakes too there, warning signs too, did not see any spiders, but one guy killed one.

Antenna is full of spiders here, can be a nice sight:

I am an ee spider, make webs too:

Jan Panteltje