Lithium batteries, not worth it

Where did you get "100% downside?" Specious rhetoric?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

To quote you 'It's you lot that let them in.'

Reply to
rbowman

Yes he was the rocket scientist in the family. He learned part of his trade from the best in the business -- the Germans at Redstone Arsenal.

Reply to
rbowman

My Toyota Yaris sometimes gets 41 mpg with no prep and a 1500 cc ICE with a full load of camping gear, tools, snowshoes, spare boots, and so forth. That falls off quite a bit a 80 mph.

Reply to
rbowman

Hold your breath. Or cry. Or something.

Point taken. Point taken. Point taken. Point taken.

And the M25 can be the UKs biggest parking lot at times :)

Reply to
alan_m

Most fraudulent schemes claim that their product will be far superior when it gets into production. Since the whole point is to get you to give them money so that they can put into production, when the actually plan to run off with money, its not a good idea to take them seriously.

You are stuck with defective understanding and bad choices. Dim wankers frequently are.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

So by loading it up you get 20 mpg less than the manufacturers stated mpg.

The Commander seems to be claiming that loading up a car with extra weight (in his case with extra batteries) doesn't make much difference in performance.

Reply to
alan_m

And what a huge difference in culture in would make.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Jaguar XF sometimes gets 41mph with a 3 litre V6 twin turbodiesel. Load doesn't matter as it weighs so much to start with. Its all about not using the brakes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Syn gas from coal might be a better precursor. I saw a process once where it was used to make acetic acid.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Syngas from coal is fine. If you have coal. When all you have is a nuke, you need to be more creative

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a '62 Lincoln Continental that would get into the low 20s on the highway. It weight about 5500 lbs and had a 430 ci engine with a 4 barrel carburetor. It makes me wonder when I see new SUVs that claim less mileage.

There was a motorcycle economy test with surprising results. Harleys with their large, low-tech engines did better than some of the smaller engines. While the Harleys were loafing along at highway speeds the small engines were working harder.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, we would have to build a wall out near Billings to keep it from spreading.

Reply to
rbowman

No. The published EPA highway MPG is 35. I typically get a little better than that, with 41 mpg recorded as the highest. Summer or winter it has camping gear, water, tools, an ax, an entrenching tool, air pump, and other assorted junk. I don't have a baseline figure since the day I bought it the rear seat was folded down and stuff added, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What does make a difference is speed. The interstates here are 80 mph roads and I've seen the mpg drop to high 20s at that speed. I don't have enough data to plot a curve of mpg versus speed so I don't know if there is a knee. There is a green 'eco' light that might be some indication that definitely isn't lit at 80.

Reply to
rbowman

A friend had a 1960 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery (for those of us in the UK, think stretched and widened, but no taller, Ford Escort Van, with horizontal fins). It had a 5.3l V8.

We once took it (him driving and 8 passengers) on a long motorway drive and he got 9mpg. He was very pleased, as he'd only got 7mpg before! And those are UK gallons.

Reply to
SteveW

You can produce syngas from domestic waste. I was involved in the control system design for a pilot plant intended to go into Sri Lanka or somewhere like that, but it never got built. It was intended to separate waste, burn the burnable waste and then use a heat exchanger on the syngas to produce steam to drive a steam turbine and to burn the syngas in a gas turbine. Both turbines generating electricity.

Reply to
SteveW

The one I saw was at Tennesee Eastman plant making acetic acid for acetate polymer. Just saw the outside of the unit where they dumped the coal from box cars and looked clean. Must have been over 40 years ago.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This was a plasma arc furnace, with the waste being supported by a bridge of continuously replenished coal.

Reply to
SteveW