Lithium batteries, not worth it

How much energy would it take to extract it? You would need tha 4x10^9 tonnes of uranium first, to get it out ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would also be my answer.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Google 'catalytic cracking'.

That's how they break up heavy oils into lighter fractions. Going the reverse direction is not used so much.

But still, is used...

The Natural Philosopher

There is a massive difference in running a few centralised facilities with a small maintenance crews and having to employ an army of staff and vehicles to service perhaps 100,000+ wind turbines in far flung outbacks of the UK maybe as often as once a month. Add the extra hassle of offshore installations and the fleet of ships needed and the cost rise higher.

Reply to
alan_m

Except I've not once seen one being maintained. I think you're making the regularity of maintainance up.

The stats I've seen, which I believe, is wind farms come to 4p/kWh. The average of everything we're using is 39p/kWh. Guess which I prefer.

I saw the wind up to 51% of UK demand the other day, we're getting there.

Then the greenies with electric cars will really be green. At the moment they actually think electric cars don't use fossil fuels!!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I saw a website written in 2014 which said we were running out of uranium (by 2042). Mind you it also said we'd already run out of Antimony (in 2020) and we'll run out of lead in 2025. Where do they get this shit from?

Commander Kinsey

Get a better newsreader, mine shows colour coding:

Commander Kinsey

The last part is key. Organic life uses what's there. Things auto-level. Climate change won't kill us. Wasting money on stopping it will.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The alarmists do not make a lot of sense. That is why they refuse to debate.

I love your dry, British sense of humor.

Cindy Hamilton

Oh, you really want to freak out the greenies. Tell them that mature trees, A.K.A. "Old Growth", use as much oxygen as CO2. CO2 in the day to create sugars; oxygen at night to create proteins. Zero sum game.

Do the pubs get a break?

They pull it out their ...

It increases the rolling resistance. increases resitive losses in the electrical system too

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Because the extra CO2 in the air is short of Carbon-14.

Except the little ice age was essentially a feature of the area around the Atlantic ocean, and didn't change the ocean temperatures enough to shift anything like enough CO2 out of solution.

It could kill quite a few of us.

Getting our electric power from cheaper renewable sources is saving money, not wasting money. It's a much better investment that putting money into fossil carbon fueled generating plant. Keeping the climate more or less survivable is a bonus. The Scots live with a rotten climate, and might appreciate a bit of global warming, but having to accommodate a lot of climate refugees from North Africa might be less attractive.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Not to an idiot like T.

There's not a lot of point in debating ignorant idiots. Learn a bit about the subject, though you probably can't, and you might get taken more seriously.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

His weight/size estimates are off by factor of 10. It's going to be a bus-size car.

I repeat:

is 2400Wh, 65kg, $360

They suggest not to discharge beyond 50%, around 1,000Wh usable. So, you needs 40 of them to go 120 miles, which is 40,000Wh 2,600 kg and $14,000.

Reply to
Ed Lee

That sounds dumb to me. Silver is a better conductor of electricity but yet we use copper. "Better job" means cost efficiency. sustainability, and adequate performance.

Reply to
Ed P

You are wasting your time - nuance doesn't work with him. Like a lot of people here, reason goes out of the window as soon as certain buttons are pushed.

Reply to
Jim Jackson