Laminate flooring and ESD?

So where do you get those 24oz ESD carpet tiles for 1/3rd?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

People who love animals do that, it's normal. They are also great companions.

Yes, although I've seen a fairly new bamboo floor this weekend that didn't fare so well. They had a retired guide dog there and he never messed up anything. Then a family with a Boxer visited and this dog was young, always wanted to play. A couple hours later the bamboo floor didn't look so good anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Not lately but I will do that again. The last one I've seen in Europe was 15-20 years ago and it would not tolerate roller chairs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't work out here. However, that way I also have a say when it comes to her turf. Like no pink flamingoes because it's OUR yard.

These hospital floors have one major downside for an office. Their swooped corners don't allow any furniture to be set flush with or at least close to the walls. There'll be a >1" gap which looks really yucky, especially if you need earthquake hooks up top.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

What's an "earthquake" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

When you have a glass of red wine and the wine spills over the rim without touching the glass ;-)

We had our scare last week. My sister was in Lima, Peru, when they had the 8.0. Luckily she was on a bus while it happened and the bus remained on the road.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

And that's NOT ugly? You can always remove a mat when you relocate your shop. A poured floor is forever.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Marching to a different kettle of fish.

You should watch more "This Old House" or whatever. ;-) Just a week or so ago, they replaced a whole house's carpet in a day with Berber (good for offices, etc - very dense pile) and tack strips. No glue at all. They did use a foam pad.

Then, get a spray bottle and some Downy fabric softerner, mix it about

1/4 cup to a pint, and spray the carpet as needed.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We only get 4-6 English-speaking channels, depending on the weather. I guess in 2009 that number will drop to zero on account of extreme multipath. So, no "This Old House" unless I am flying an airline like JetBlue. We do now have a small DVD collection of "All in the Family", Long's had a special there. But Archie Bunker's home improvement projects didn't exactly end with a success story ...

Tack strips don't hold too well in our case because we have 2" concrete over the plywood everywhere, often called a mud bed. That's another reason to get rid of this non-foam carpet. Basically, a carpet that isn't held down over all its surface by something will not last in an office environment with all the roller chairs.

For anti-static?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

With little bits of colored specks? Terrazzo. Instead of the black baseboard (cove base) you often see nice smooth ~ 1" or so radius curving up 4 to 6" vertically to joinn the wall tile? Terrazzo. But if your walls are not tile, you probably want to contact cement a cove base to the wall. I like the non cove base way because the cove base/ floor interface traps dirt. You just need to find a good finish and a kick ass stripper. I'd have a cleaning company deal with all that. They have the equip..

Mike

Reply to
Active8

Joerg! I thought you were making it a personal mission to *never* get a DVD player!!! :-)

If you're not careful pretty soon you'll find yourself with an MP3 player, a Smart Phone, and Internet Tablet, a GPS receiver, etc...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Laminate? Cover the floor with copperclad FR4!

John

My wife brought it home. Yard sale, actually a pre-sale at good friends of ours, came with an exercise bike and sans remote. With a generic remote you can access just the basics like play and stop. But the best: It is one of those surround sound deals which we most certainly don't need. So, now I've got all kinds of small speakers, with nice audio quality. In three months we've used the DVD player, uhm, twice. But now our kitchen stereo finally has some decent speakers :-)

Got none of those here. I think our living room stereo can play MP3 but we've never tried that. I have never downloaded a song, wouldn't actually know where.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You suck so bad, you suck at sucking.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Tim Wescott snipped-for-privacy@seemywebsite.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

I suspect that that a wood laminate flooring may be intended, it is not static safe either. I would recommend a layer of a static dissipative over the laminate.

In the long run (about ten years) nothing beats doing it right in the first place. Nor am i immune to the initial expense issue. I recommend ESD safe "linoleum" for the lab and ESD dissipative carpeting elsewhere. I would also include a maintenance factor ESD treatment of the carpet and the linoleum quarterly.

Reply to
JosephKK

Paul Hovnanian P.E. snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Agreed.

Reply to
JosephKK

ChairmanOfTheBored snipped-for-privacy@crackasmile.org posted to sci.electronics.design:

Well maybe, did you ESD clobber it in the process?

Reply to
JosephKK

Can't dissipate a damned thing if it isn't grounded. All one ends up with is a capacitor in and of itself.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Best answer yet, and worth the investment for any dedicated lab environ.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Swiffing up a chip resistor or capacitor does not place it in any jeopardy. I would not use this procedure for any semi-conductor components.

As a rule, I don't knock my parts on the floor to begin with.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored