ESD info ???

They obviously don't know what they are talking about. Proper ESD technique goes something like this:

1) Only work on equipment at an approved ESD handling station (grounded mat at the very least) 2) Wear a wrist strap to dissipate your body to ground 3) Only use anti-static or conductive bags, bins, trays etc within the ESD safe area. 4) Transport all items in ESD-safe bages AND conductive boxes. 5) Wear anti-stat coat if there is a chance of clothing coming in contact with the ESD sensitive item.

There are various levels and techniques above this, but that's a general situation.

One of the biggest misunderstandings is that "anti-static" bags and IC tubes protect a device from damage - they don't. Only static-shielding or conductive materials can do that. That is why when you get an IC from Farnell it comes in its anti-staic tube (or whater) inside a conductive bag.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I have to do a online 'training' course because I'll being doing (basic) servicing for x brand of printers (part swaping)

The ESD info they gave had in the course "make the least possible movements with you body to prevent an increase in static electricity from clothing fibre carpets" (perhaps if i sat down, stayed very still & just looked at the printer??)

""do not place the ESD-sensitive part on the printer cover or metal table..." "..metal tables are electrical grounds. They increase the risk of damage.." "if possible keep all ESD sensitive parts in grounded metal cabinet"

Is the above a bit of nonsense, ie the metal table & the contradtion with using a metal cabinet.

Reply to
S Roby

They did include some of the (sensible) points you mention but no mention of ESD station no mention of antistatic coat: synthetic clothing is a nono (not to mention nylon carpet) the metal table comment didnt really make sense: whats the diff between a metal table & metal cabinet

Reply to
S Roby

SNIP

What????

See

It is demonstrable that a sensitive electronic device placed inside a shielding bag is impervious to an external electrostatic charge.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Thats what he said. "That is why when you get an IC from Farnell it comes in its anti-staic tube (or whater) inside a conductive bag."

Reply to
two bob

Yes, that's what I said. A "static shielding" bag will protect a device when in transit and storage. In fact a static sentive device must

*only* be transported in a "static shielding" bag. A "static shielding" bag is different to an "anti-static" bag (the common cheap "pink" bags, and pink bubble wrap). Anti-static bags do not protect a device from an external static charge, they simply prevent the build up of static when used within an ESD safe environment. Most IC tubes are also only "anti-static" and not "static shielding" so therefore provide little protection to static discharge.

A bag must specifically state "static shielding" in order for a device to be protected. If is just says "anti-static" then it's pretty much useless outside of an ESD safe area.

This is the first thing you'll get a practical demo of when you do a certified ESD course.

My former company actually failed Farnell on an ESD audit one time, and we couldn't order anything from them for months until they fixed whatever trival problem it was. ESD can be serious business.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Sorry for my confusion David...

When I was using "anti-static" bags prolifically the only type available was the metallised "shielding" bag. The pink poly and bubble-wrap types were either not available and/or not recommended so I hadn't come across them until relatively recently and so they didn't occur to me as being the types you were talking about. Since your original reply didn't specifically mention the pink poly and b/w bags I thought you were referring to metallised shielding bags.

Looking at this page

it seems that the problem with the pink poly and bubble wrap types is that they dry out with age and can themselves become generators of huge static charges. The b/w type relies upon air gap spacing to prevent static discharges from getting to the contents so it doesn't actually provide (conductive) "shielding" at all (as you correctly stated).

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I remenber my boss demonstrating to me that the 'pink' bags/foam/bubblewrap arent to be used. He rubbed the bag up & down the bench & few times & built up enougth static for the bag to stick to the wall.

Reply to
S Roby