ESD Protection in the Lab

During the prototyping and debugging phase of a project (Not production) should the Engineers and Lab Techs be extremely ESD conscious (i.e. wear ESD straps, ESD smocks, etc)?

I've worked for 4 different companies and it is about a 50/50 split between ESD protection in the lab and not worrying about it.

One employer's philosophy was "If a part has a high ESD sensitivity it is better to find that out in the lab and design it out then mask the problem by wearing all the anti-ESD garb."

Where my current employer is on the other end of the spectrum and has us checking our ESD wrist bands every time we enter the lab and we must wear a smock at all times in the lab.

What are your feelings?

Reply to
Eric

At a previous employer then we were making very high value avionics parts in very small quantities and couldn't afford to take any risks and thus the anti-static policy was tight and wrist straps were checked daily on pain of death. By the nature of ESD damage then it is hard to predict the extent of the damage so QA would not grant flight status to any product which was suspected to have been mishandled without copious and expensive retesting.

At my current employer then anti-static protection is much more relaxed. The production department receive the boards already assembled and coated in a thick humiseal so they are less susceptible to damage. In R&D then we don't use much at all but then we rarely handle production products. However, I'm sure that over the years some component failures could be attributed to ESD so when we move to our new site later this year then I intend to implement a more stringent standard but I won't go so far as insisting on daily strap checks and the like.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

That depends entirely on the kind of project. ESD measures can be quite relaxed, to the point of not caring at all, if you're sure none of the prototype/debug hardware will ever escape to a customer, and that there are NO special parts (expensive or hard to procure) on those boards.

In the end of the day it's the balance between expected costs of fully enforced ESD protection and those of electrocuted prototypes that drives the decision.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker