Are avalanche-rated mosfets immune to ESD?

Hi,

Are mosfets ESD-immune, provided the energy is less than the avalanche rating?

(Apart from the gate of course).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

_Nothing_ is ESD immune. It's all black magic. A fart let slightly off-center will trigger an ESD event ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Shouldn't President BO be treated like any other form of BO ?:-)

So you don't know then? :)

I find it amusing that those huge 1.5KE TVS diodes come with big yellow stickers on the reels - "WARNING STATIC SENSITIVE COMPONENTS".

--

John Devereux
Reply to

To clarify, I mean when in-circuit. Do I need to protect a mosfet output against ESD? It seems to me that I don't, since the part should avalanche for the duration of the ESD event.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Of course not. Like I say, "It's all black magic." And I be not kidding.

Most chips are ESD-damage-prone until soldered to the PCB.

...Jim Thompson

_Large_ MOS devices (at outputs... i.e. drains) rarely need any ESD protection.... they self-protect by turning on. And you are correct, under those conditions the energy rating would prevail.

...Jim Thompson

Vaccuum tubes!

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

That probably pertains more to EMP.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

What are those then... do they come in sot-23?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

SOT23-5 or SOT23-6

-- Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

But most chips are "ESD-damage-prone" until soldered onto the PCB

*because* they don't have their big honking TVS diodes yet. ;-)
Reply to
krw