The continuing saga of cleaning out my lab...

I wonder if anyone still uses these for anything? I just came across a huge box of octal plugs molded into what looks like thick plastic squares:

-- Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of Rights:

Melissa

Oh yeah! :) They still use those?

--
Yours In Liberty,  Melissa  - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
Rights:  http://www.UPAlliance.org/billofrights.htm
Reply to
Melissa

Yeah, ok. So I guess I'll try them on Ebay.

--
Yours In Liberty,  Melissa  - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
Rights:  http://www.UPAlliance.org/billofrights.htm
Reply to
Melissa

I think all the larger tube sockets used to use them, actually, and relays like someone pointed out. Bakelite, that was the word I was trying to recall, and yes they look like bakelite. The other side has a scratchy brushed look.

It would be great if these are worth something, I'd much rather have money for them that have them go to a landfill.

--
Yours In Liberty,  Melissa  - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
Rights:  http://www.UPAlliance.org/billofrights.htm
Reply to
Melissa

Well, I'll see how they do on ebay then.

--
Yours In Liberty,  Melissa  - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
Rights:  http://www.UPAlliance.org/billofrights.htm
Reply to
Melissa

Melissa These blank octal plugs and flanges can be used for adding modular plug-in networks, fixed eqs, xformers, big relays, PSUs - as long as you have their matching panel /cable-mount octal bases, any type. The corner holes are used to screw-fix matching fitting dust/safety covers, which were made in black or in see-thru plastic.

Reply to
Jim Gregory

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but the first thing I thought of when seeing this was "relay base."

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)

Melissa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@forethought.net:

Try and find a similarly huge box of little plastic or cast metal boxes which these plugs fit onto...then you will have something saleable ! cheers M

Reply to
Mike Diack

Hello Melissa,

These may also fit into tube sockets. I remember a horizontal final tube from Europe that had a socket like that. The bakelite lasted incredibly long despite the heat. I believe the tube was a PL36. Also comes as a EL36 nowadays with 6.3V heater for hardcore audio fans.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

This might start some OT, but if you have to dump them, try to find a recycler that'll take them. I know the EPA won't allow certain things to be done like burning the foam out of coax to reclaim the Al, so we send it to Hong Kong. What bugs me is that I don't know if they have emission controls in place over there :(

--
Best Regards,
Mike

--
LOL! Really???
Reply to

tube

incredibly

relays

scratchy

money

Doubtful because they're a peninsula and bunch of islands on the coast so much of the pollution blows out to sea.

Besides, most of it ends up over here in the U.S. :-(

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

A lot of industrial control unit modules use the 8 pin Octal (and an

11 pin similar base) for lots of different things such as relays, timers, counters, etc.

The idea is that a tech can build up a fairly complex control unit using sub-modules that just plug into matching bases (the bases being wired together suitably of course).

Alan

Jenal Communications
Manufacturers and Suppliers of HF Selcall
P O Box 1108, Morley, WA, 6943
Tel: +61 8 9370 5533 Fax +61 8 9467 6146
Web Site: http://www.jenal.com
Contact: http://www.jenal.com/?p=1
Alan

I would suggest that too. They look like typical octal relay bases actually.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yup, looks like a timer relay base, but these were also available in blank cases to add your own bit to. RS Components sold them some time back, probably still do...

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Oh wow, just came across a Heathkit EE-3101-A DC learning lab kit, still sealed in it's original box, since maybe 1980? Talk about time capsules.

Should be able to sell that on ebay.

-- Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of Rights:

Melissa

But I can't imagine it being worth a whole lot, being they sell updated versions of it as the -C rev. for around $109. I don't recall it being a kit, just a learning program, so it may not even be worth that now.

--
Yours In Liberty,  Melissa  - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
Rights:  http://www.UPAlliance.org/billofrights.htm
Reply to
Melissa

No, not for this little thing. It's a DC Electronics course, not a 1kw linear HF amp. The -C version looks like it's selling from heathkit now for around $111. This is the -A version from about 25 years ago. Yes it's sealed, but I was just hoping to get close to $100 for it, so I started it for $99 on ebay 4 hrs ago. It has 1 bid for that already. I'm amazed.

I don't even know if it's a kit or just a learning course, it looks like the later.

Now the kits are going for big bucks, I see one for a WWV receiver that's up to arouns $500 already.

Yeah, I put unbuilt, but like I said, I'm not even sure it's a kit, and can't be without opening the box.

--
Yours In Liberty,  Melissa  - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
Rights:  http://www.UPAlliance.org/billofrights.htm
Reply to
Melissa

Don't open the box, it will lower the selling price.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

now.

If the box is sealed think up to $1,000 or more. If you put it together, as low as $20. They aren't making them any more. Make sure you put 'Unassembled' in the title line.

NSM