Idiots

That's not the story that the Schipol authorities gave, nor is it in line with my international/transit experiences. "Normally" transit passengers remain in a quarantine area, and local-boarding passengers enter that area once screened. YMMV

On one occasion in transit at Changi we decided to kill the four hour hold with a quick trip into the city. We asked if this was OK and the response was "yes, but you will have to re-enter through security screening etc".

Reply to
who where

That must be near the quantum limit.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

LOL! So they got him to inject conc H2SO4 into his underpants for good measure!

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

One for you then :-)

Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

to carry a bomb.

John Larkin's right wing rubbish that he posts here

Surely not Cosmic Top Secret!

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

want to carry a bomb.

John Larkin's right wing rubbish that he posts here

Sooper Dooper Cross Your Heart and Promise Not to Tell, 3rd class!

John

As an update -- the AP is reporting tonight that ...

" anyone traveling from or though nations regarded as state sponsors of terrorism - as well as "other countries of interest" - will be required to go through enhanced screening. The TSA said those techniques include full-body pat-downs, carry-on bag searches, full- body scanning and explosive detection technology.

The State Department lists Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria as state sponsors of terrorism. The "other countries" whose passengers will face enhanced screening include Nigeria, Yemen and Pakistan."

So.... I guess if you're from Saudi Arabia (as I recall most of the

9/11 hijaackers were!), then you're NOT subjected to additional screening, other than the random screening that all inbound US passengers are subjected to. To me, that's pretty silly. Did we not learn anything?

It really doesn't take much imagination to equate the following two concepts; a) that the war on terror is global, and b) that therefore, the correct strategy is to single out individual nations

Reply to
mpm

Late at night, by candle light, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax penned this immortal opus:

Actually it's due to the extremely fine grain of the low sensitivity films. Needs some very expensive optics to do it justice.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Even so, it must be close to the diffraction limit of light, as well as being a very efficient sensor.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

:
:

Yanik

:

and=20

our

Dang John, you have Jan spluttering.

Reply to
JosephKK

could find anyone else,

Not that anybody needs to say so. Such revisionist history. Like there never was any religious wars or persecution in Europe.

the language,

all the places.

people.

beautiful.

enjoyed it,

bombs.

Reply to
JosephKK

mass

Iraq!

east empire.

It is very clear that you bought into Saddam's propaganda rather = completely.

Reply to
JosephKK

It's far from clear that they would have detected PETN.

Also, just because something is visible to the scanner, it doesn't mean that the operator will notice. The TSA regularly tests the effectiveness of X-ray scanning by trying to smuggle prohibited items and seeing if the operator notices; usually, they don't notice.

Reply to
Nobody

It is far from clear that there actually was any PETN. The facts from news media simply don't fall into one picture.

TSAs probably prevented a LOT of possible stupid accidents like someone trying to take a gasoline tank or something like that. I don't blaim TSA.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Spring or fall is the best time. Not too many tourists. The Louvre is a waste of money though.

The food in England can be okay. Just go into a pub and see what is on the menu. I have been pleasantly surprised several times by the food in England.

The French countryside is a bit too boring to my taste. I've seen enough of it from my bike.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Where did you get that legend?

Reply to
Richard Henry

worker

And the grain size.

Number of photons to "flip" a grain of emulsion.

I would have thought that the limit is due to air turbulence, assuming unlimited optics.

Well, lens size beats megapixels every time.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Late at night, by candle light, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax penned this immortal opus:

Diffraction is the limit for the optics. Don't know what you mean by efficiency in the context, the low sensitivity makes for rather long exposure times. In faster films the resolution is usually limited by grain.

Some years ago I saw an exhibit of what can be done with a 4x5 field camera and good optics.

The scene was a small lake with some woods in the background. The whole scene, and parts of the negative were selectively enlarged to

8x10, yelding some 20 separate pictures.

What most impressed me was a picture of a flower. On the scene it was just about visible, on the blow-up one could see the veining in the leafs sharp as a tack. That part of the negative can't have been more than a millimeter or two across.

The lenses weren't very big, but the guy carried them around in a huge padded case and took them out only when everything else was already set up.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

So now Schiphol is buying 60 scanners at >$15mil each. A billion dollars can be spend a lot more effectively: decent wages so you don't have to hire probationers, training, more personnel so they don't have to stay at peak alert for 8 hours and overtime in one stretch, and lots of social workers to have a good chat with every passenger before boarding

- if you're not showing any sign of preparing to strangle him you're obviously not mentally fit to fly.

Reply to
Jaded Hobo

ftp://panteltje.com/pub/dish_is_spiders_home_img_1626.jpg

Reply to
Jan Panteltje