Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale

Irma is well into Cat 5 at 180 MPH wind speeds. Wherever it lands is going to look like it got hit by a bomb. From the NHC, Cat 5 damage assessment.

Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be d estroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or month s.

Florida has been beefing up its building codes significantly for the past d ecade and a half, but I doubt it's going to hold up against this. It's that nasty dependency of force on the square of the velocity coupled with the a rea multiplier of the target- looks real bad.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

All of which makes you happy, so others can share in your misery.

Reply to
krw

(...)

National Hurricane Center - Irma The tiny letter "M" in the middle of the black dots indicates a Major hurricane with >110 mph sustained winds. Yikes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

There's another coming in about a week behind it, Jose. These are Cape Verd e hurricanes which are historically the worst. This time of year there's a stationary high pressure region in the mid-Atlantic that prevents these sto rms from turning north and then blowing back out to sea, so Jose will prett y much follow Irma's track and have the same intensity.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

So many counties and cities allowed people to build on flood plains and drain marshes, what did they expect would happen when the hurricanes came back. There is a fair bit of history there...

Oh, and Trump appears to have cancelled one of the previous governments attempts to stop people from rebuilding on flood plains.

Not that that had anything to do with the damage from Harvey, but it suggests damage will only get worse in the future is people are allowed to develop on flood plains!

You don't need the threat of potential climate change to know you never build on marshes or flood plains...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

It's predicted to swing north, but seems to be headed west still. These things are notoriously erratic.

Sounds a lot like this one:

 Click to see the full signature

There are a bunch of storms blowing in from the northwest, so it's expected to "twist" and go northeast, possibly breaking back out into the Atlantic in the Carolinas. South Florida is gonna get it no matter what.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I have my college kids in the Tampa area, talked to them both about getting prepared so they can move out Friday or Saturday. I suggested they don't come home because if it makes it across the tip of Fl, it may come towards Panama city, no sense in having to escape the same hurricane twice.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I was going to lookup a Fl to NY flight but, the Jetblue site is busy ;D

Probably better to drive north/inland at least.

Martin Riddle

Oh, don't worry about it, it's just a Chinese hoax, and the weather people are just overreacting, this is a normal weather pattern.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sheesh. I try to be helpful by providing you a ring-side seat to your disaster of the week, and all you can do is provide me with more work to do on your behalf? Surely, if you're going to watch urban renewal, kilodeaths, and gigabucks blow away in the wind, you could schedule them a bit better. So far, the storms have ruined a few nice weekends, and now Irma seems intent on doing more of the same. Anyway, I'm not worried. According to a Hebrew book I read long ago, 40 days and 40 nights and all of this will be rinsed away.

More views from above: (South East) (Tropical Atlantic)

Tropical Atlantic IR Rainbow Loop (All are same. I suggest HTML5) (HTML5) (Flash) (Java) (GIF) It's a few days early for this closer view for Florida:

In the unlikely event that you're correct about Jose following the same storm track as Iris, you should be able to view two successive storms, while holding onto your keyboard and mouse in a white knuckles death grip in the anticipation of disaster. Even better, no commercial interruptions.

--

:

erde hurricanes which are historically the worst. This time of year there's a stationary high pressure region in the mid-Atlantic that prevents these storms from turning north and then blowing back out to sea, so Jose will pr etty much follow Irma's track and have the same intensity.

The NHC site is getting real slow, and Miami is going to get slammed so we' ll probably lose them. The news industry is relentlessly reporting all thin gs Irma, updates by the minute:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Wherever you're going, plan on staying there a month.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Tampa's not likely to get an extreme lot of wind, but could flood. What's their elevation?

 Click to see the full signature

Irma may turn north and ultimately flood NYC. Better to fly to Phoenix... we *will* experience some Irma effects, just as we did with Harvey, some light rain ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 2:59:36 AM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrot e:

ng to look like it got hit by a bomb. From the NHC, Cat 5 damage assessment .

e destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and po wer poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or mo nths.

t decade and a half, but I doubt it's going to hold up against this. It's t hat nasty dependency of force on the square of the velocity coupled with th e area multiplier of the target- looks real bad.

Krw drawing the wrong conclusion, as usual. If he were a little more reliab le, he could be useful as Parkinson's "Man who is always wrong". Sadly, he' s more like the stopped clock who happens to get it right twice a day. Bein g out of touch with reality does work that way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Well, you had the foresight to move someplace that was thoroughly pre-devas tated--nothing left but dirt, rocks, roads, and Taco Bells.

As Robin Williams said about Afghans' reaction to a threat to bomb them in to the stone age: "Hey! Upgrade!"

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

It's low, my daughter complains about flooded roads during seasonal heavy rains as normal. Has to detour to get around. >

(Lovefest article for Bloggs)

Excerpts: ?The bay?s getting higher and the bay needs to go somewhere else. But there?s nowhere for the water to go,? said Mark Hafen, a University of South Florida associate professor who specializes in environmental science and coastal planning.

A team of planners in Hillsborough County said they fight against the potential impact of rising water every day, creating alternative bus routes and detours for flooded roads and trying to get the message out to residents in low-lying areas that their homes could be ruined.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Worried that area leaders weren?t adequately focused on the downside of living in a tropic, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council reminded them of the risks by simulating a worst-case scenario hurricane, a category 5 with winds exceeding 156 miles per hour, to demonstrate what would happen if it entered the Gulf of Mexico and turned their way.

The fictitious Phoenix hurricane scenario projects that wind damage would destroy nearly half a million homes and businesses. About 2 million residents would require medical treatment, and the estimated death toll, more than 2,000, would top the number of people who perished from Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

ay

re else. But

University of

ide of

That misplanned cesspool you call a state is loaded with nuclear power plan ts:

Can we say Fukushima? Because there's no way the water is going to stay bel ow the design limits.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Hmmmm? I do believe we have more functional farm land than New York State.

Probably more forest acreage as well.

You New Yaaawkers need to get a life... most of NYC will fit inside of my previous bedroom community, Ahwatukee.

And, for the Massa2shits crowd... our _Maricopa County_ is just slightly smaller than your whole fri..ing worthless state >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature