I got Smart Metered Today

Most of that also applies to LA. I lived there for about 30 years. There is the beach communities (some of which have views), high rise downtown (some there claim it has views), mountains far larger than your hills (more views), canyons, many other distinct areas culturally. However it occupies far more territory, more like 70 mi by 50 mi.

Currently in Sac-a-tomatoes, no views to speak of, not much culture, but much better housing prices.

-in-S-F-3691082.php

Maybe, maybe not; there has already been some four different flaps about smart phone / pad app security problems. And it will only decay.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Your cable is out 3.65 days a year? I can't believe that.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

with=20

sends

taking

put

circuits

an

your

Well it was done like you said 40 + years ago and likely much earlier. Wikipedia shows that was done for most of a century. Most everyone has converted to 240 V or 480 V normal circuits. I was an inspector for such a conversion project about 15 years ago. It was supposed to be the last one in the Lost Angeles area. There is probably some still out there in the rural areas of California. The antifuse was in how the ballast operated, it was fed from a series to multiple transformer.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Random failure, or storm damage?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It has been out two days so far this calendar year.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

And out here, it might go out for a few minutes or a few hours a couple times a year. Maybe one tenth of one percent.

And the Internet feed rarely ever goes out.

So it must have been a head end.

Reply to
TunnelRat

Interesting statement... I wonder whether they'd be more reliable if they were paid more...

--
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Reply to

I don't mean they were bad people - it's just that meters are in funny places, there are dogs, that sort of thing.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

they

=46air enough.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I think the PLC (power line communication) is invented by the Soviet Union...

halong

Wiki doesn't say that, but given the obvious advantages for bugs, I wouldn't be at all surprised. They invented bouncing laser beams off embassy windows to pick up conversations inside.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Good point - one I'd overlooked. Lots of strange situations when you're going onto peoples' property...

--
Air is water with holes in it.
Reply to

That's irrelevant, though. No data is lost because of that "outage". This isn't a telephone network rather more of a data network. BTW, this is one area where a RF system would be better (not that it really matters).

Reply to
krw

Thay also invented Jack Daniels.

Reply to
krw

Probably the CIA was doing similar stuff. Hey, the Chinese were naive enough to have a presidential 767 outfitted by a Texas company a few years ago and they discovered dozens of highly sophisticated bugs were installed at no extra cost. Maybe they didn't find them all!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

survive but

So many gas stations had a satellite link for their credit card processing -- marked by a rectanguloid satellite dish with a seemingly low tilt angle. But that likely went out twice a year from the solar transit, assuming nothing catastrophic happened to the satellite.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

but

Dunno if others did that as well, but Amoco certainly did.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

When the city does it, more than likely it's a public safety MESH and they aren't apt to share that.

In the U.S. it's going to be BPL and I can tell you there'll be enough ticked off amateur operators that it'll do stuttering wonders for any data signal.

from

smart

...and your point? The Internet service *will* be public. The mesh has no reason to be public but it carries both water and electric usage data.

Reply to
krw