I got Smart Metered Today

You seem slightly confused - I am European.

Reply to
Ian Field

Boston itself is quite small (only 750K). I'd much rather visit Boston than NYC.

Reply to
krw

:

from...

drive past

in

You don't remember the '60s either, huh. ;-)

You don't fool me. I was there too. ;-)

bunch of a*hole anyways.

power.

loud.

me

I thought you would have had it worse down there that year. We'd just moved into AL and we had a rock wall collapse. Twice. The builder did a really crap job of repairing it.

Reply to
krw

Visited both in the last few months.. have to say I like both cities, though they're generally a PITA for visitors with cars. Cities with one or more good Universities tend to be decent places to visit or live (Wayne State might be an exception).

There are a few nice places in LA County- Pasadena, Westwood/Santa Monica etc. but there is also an awful lot of sprawling sun-bleached wasteland. The area I lived in some years ago is currently over 90% Hispanic (near where the B2 was secretly developed).. I found it fine.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Why change to 50? Reminds me that my grandfather was taught in the old country that a right angle was 100 degrees, not 90.

Called "gradians" or grads for short, no?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Why change to 50? Reminds me that my grandfather was taught in the old country that a right angle was 100 degrees, not 90.

A French unit, of course.

Reply to
krw

You are talking wholly different antenna system; likely for cellular carrier's microcells.

Here's one of the few shots that I have found of the PG&E ones:

This one is on a pole with no primaries:

David Lesher

That's pretty funny, considering that I work for an Asian company who does much of their design work here.

There is a *lot* of here and not so much contaminated.

H2O, from the Catskill Mountains. Jan is an idiot Europeon. His only clue about the US is what he sees on the TeeVee.

Reply to
krw

second. Why change to 50? Reminds me that my grandfather was taught in the old country that a right angle was 100 degrees, not 90.

Seems so. I remember that they used to be a trig function option on calculators-- only time I've ever actually run into the units. A bit nasty because the answer would be pretty close to using degrees, so mistakes would not be as obvious as the 180/pi ratio between degrees and radians.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

second. Why change to 50? Reminds me that my grandfather was taught in the old country that a right angle was 100 degrees, not 90.

Yep, it's on the older HPs (not on my 35S).

Reply to
krw

First time I've seen "high speed", and "Tehachapi Loop" used in the same sentence.

That line climbs something like 3000 feet in 20 miles.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I think that would have been grads, not degrees. Was it in Germany? Austria? Czechoslovakia?

Let's all use radians ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The correct terminology is "transmission towers", Only laymen say "pylons".

Last time I looked, pole-to pole transmission voltages in the UK were not dissimilar to those in the USA. Take a look at the insulators.

From memory, you have 3.3kV, 6.6kV, and 10kV on poles.

UK pole transformers *step down* to 400V phase-to-phase, plus star point neutral, the standard UK low voltage.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

More German than French, I think.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Cause, or effect?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

grad, grade [1], gradian, or gon (g or gr or grd) a unit of angle measurement equal to 1/400 circle, 0.01 right angle, 0.9°, or 54'. This unit was introduced in France, where it is called the grade, in the early years of the metric system. The grad is the English version, apparently introduced by engineers around 1900. The name gon is used for this unit in German, Swedish, and other northern European languages in which the word grad means degree. Although many calculators will display angle measurements in grads as well as degrees or radians, it is difficult to find actual applications of the grad today. grade [2]

krw

David Lesher wrote in news:jtfblp$8ae$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

Yes,you're right;those ARE ground planes,under whip antennas. My apologies.

I have one utility near my apt.complex's maintenance shop that uses a directional UHF yagi,and have seen other remote monitoring stations using similar antennas. I have yet to see any of these whips on poles around the central FL area.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have seen Yagi's in two (utility) cases. The common one is sewer list stations. The rare one is natural gas regulators; most are 150 Mhz groundplanes so I can only guess this corner was a weak signal area.

David Lesher

I despise NYC and Dallas. SF is worth visiting but I certainly wouldn't live anywhere near there. LA is just too much of a PITA. OTOH, I really like Minneapolis (in the summer) and Atlanta (the rest of the year). ;-)

Roger that! I've lived in college towns most of my life. Auburn is pretty boring (and fall weekends are a PITA). ;-)

I didn't think any more of Pasadena, or BH, for that matter. Too hard to get around and nothing there once you do. Dallas is a pile of concrete in the middle of the desert. Ugly!

Reply to
krw

Yeah, that's it idiot! Embrace the retarded bastards's bullshit and even quote the dumb shit.

I think idiots like you are worse than abusive retarded bastards like him. Because YOU claim to be civil. That is not the case.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers