STRANGE BATTERY CONFIGURATION found in used APC Smart-UPS 1250

Two years ago I bought a used APC Smart-UPS 1250. I just got around to trying to replace the batteries with 2 of the

17 AH, 6 volt SLA.

I was very surprised to find that somebody had rigged up

4 12-volt, 7 AH SLA batteries in series and parallel so as to produce a 24 volt battery pack.

What is going on here? Can this unit be set up in some way, with a jumper or a switch or something, to expect a 24 volt battery pack instead of 12 volt?

This was a real G-job: they had broken some plastic supports to get the other batteries to fit, and had packed some foam in to space the batteries, rather oddly.

I am not interested particularly in experimenting with what I expect is now a fully blown-out APC Smart-UPS 1250.

Any idea what the heck is going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Howe

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Oh - my mistake, I feel so stooooopid. The usual battery is a 12 volt, 17AH battery, not 6 volt.

Problem solved, and the problem is me. Bah!

Thanks!

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Jim Howe

As the other poster said, be careful to try and source replacement batteries with the correct sized terminals, as when these things kick in, they pull BIG amps for a brief period. I had a lot of trouble getting batteries with suitable terminals for my UPS 700 and the unit kept falling over and bleeping every couple of weeks when it went through its self test. Eventually, I determined that it was being caused by volts-drop at the connection points, which was causing the UPS to think that its batteries were flat when it tried to use them. I eventually finished up removing the connectors, and soldering the wires direct to the terminals. Probably not the recommended thing to do to a gel-cell battery, but it has been good as gold ever since.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks - I haven't had this particular problem yet.

All the best.

Jim Howe