Electric motor with small cross section

reluctance,

controllability

Someone already suggested model airplane motors such as those by Turnigy = on=20 the

website. Otherwise 400Hz motors as used on = aircraft=20 may be small enough at that power level, although most of them are not = long=20 and slim. If you can accept about 5 inches square, here is a 7.5 HP = motor=20 that is 5.5" square and 8" long, and 14 lb. 12,000 RPM.

Here is a 1.75 HP 3phase 400Hz motor that is size 30, whatever that is. = But=20 they seem pretty small and I think they do custom:

r/30-20-156? And 1.85 HP 22,000 RPM size 33.
r/33-20-150?

This is almost 2HP but I see that size 33 is 3.28" dia:

1.35HP is 2.6" diameter and 3.87" long. That's about 1 kW. Maybe five=20 mounted lengthwise on a common shaft?

This will probably be a custom...

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Here you go.

1300 watts continuous. 1.42" dia, 3.46" long, but only 22V.

2360 watts peak, 2" diameter, 2.6" long, 22VDC

5500 watts, 55.8mm diameter, 35V to 70V
9a8c

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

and if power is needed (assuming the 8mm axel can handle it) it should posible to stack them on a common shaft. I believe the shaft is just a plain 8mm with a groove for a retainer ring and maybe a flat spot for a pinol screw

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I thought there might be a neater way.

That's the common 'tape recorder' method. I would expect an ME to think of that and rule it out for gnashing the gears or just for being too 'tape recorder'.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

28000 rpm! It's funny that the OP did not specify rpm, it seems to me that it would be a fundamental criterion. Voltage, current, cost could be dealt with, rpm not so much. Wonder if he is trolling.
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The input shaft drove a 1:1 engaged gear pair, which gave me two parallel, counter-rotating shafts. They were coupled through one-way couplings (the shaft couplings with rollers inside) to two gears coupled with toothed belts, one of them driving the counter. The one-way couplers are very precise, practically ideal diodes, and only contribute error on reversal. Reversal in a steamship is infrequent, so the longterm loss was minute, probably not one shaft revolution per year. Try to design an electrical FWB rectifier that's accurate to better than 0.1 PPM!

Back-driving this rig is interesting. It behaves a lot like an electrical full-wave bridge rectifier.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A bridge made with 1N4148 diodes would have leakage of a few nA maybe and could conduct a few hundred mA, so from a current basis, that's more like 0.01ppm. Electrical wins again.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Forward drop is the analogous error, not reverse leakage. I think.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Practically every VCR has such a mechanism to provide take up tension on the appropriate reel.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Ever come across integrating wheels? Used in mechanical flowmeters, back in the day for integrating quantity.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I had a 6-hour layover in Honolulu so I took a taxi to Pearl Harbor - well worth the trip, a very moving experience - and toured a WWII submarine. It has a gorgeous torpedo targeting computer, full of gears and mechanical integrators and stuff. It's got a glass cover, looks sort of like a pinball machine.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

One sub captain said it was the most reliable thing on his boat.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I've talked to the crew of the Nautilus who told of the equipment problems they had going under the North Pole. I also talked with the man who designed the controls for the reactor of that first nuclear powered submarine. There are a lot of old submariners living around here.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell