Small D.C. motor with tacho source

I'm doing some software that will measure speed of rotation and direction (quadrature). Early hardware not selected, and of course not available yet. So does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive d.c. motor that has a tacho with signals for speed and quadrature? I've looked at Radio Shack, Edmund's, and two robotic web sites so far. Spec's:

Speed: Don't care Torque: Don't care Size: Don't care Shaft size: Don't care as long as it will easily connect to tacho Voltage: 0 to 5 if possible Current: Low current so can run on D cells Cost: Very low since this is a throw-away part.

I can't think of anything else to specify. The motor will be driven using PWM most likely, but a buffered DAC can also be used.

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Reply to
Dave Boland

IRTA "Small DC motor with taco sauce".

LOL

Tim

Tim Williams

New, no. However second hand, possibly. In the UK, Distel, has some motors like this at times, and similar suppliers in other countries may be able to help. However Distel's prices on these, have shot up recently, since they are fashionable for 'robotics'. Have you considered the 'silly' solution, of taking RC servos apart?. Remove the electronics, potentiometer, and end stops, and you have a lovely cheap geared motor, designed to give good torque off 5v. You can also add the tacho pickup, where the potentiometer normally sits. Some of the Chinese units, sold for real 'bargain' models, are unbelievably cheap,and plenty of people have gone this route:

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

They are used in Inkjet Printers.