transformer core cross section variance

Hi,

I was working on a design for a fullbridge driven ferrite transformer with a 300:1 turns ratio, and I'd like to do both primary and secondary coils with a single layer (primary 170V/15A, secondary ~50kV/50mA). If I use 10 turns on the primary this would require 3000 turns on the secondary, which is too much for a single layer, so I was wondering if I used a molded ferrite core that had a reduced cross section where the secondary coil is wound, would this boost the secondary voltage? It would be cool if I could use 1/10th the core cross section and get a

10x voltage boost, and thus only 300 turns required on the secondary.

I realize I could be totally out to lunch here! :)

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Alas, you're totally out to lunch. All you'd do is make a transformer which utilizes it's core very poorly.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Turns per volt is related thus: K / sqrt(power rating of core) .

Reply to
Robert Baer