Help with Electric Motor

Hi, I'm in the UK and need some help & pointers on a motor replacement. I have my mother-in-laws roller shutter garage door in bits as the control board burnt. I've made a remote control / relay unit but am unsure if the original motor is working, or what to replace it with.

The original motor is 240V. 2.5 Inch Dia & 3Inch Long. It has terminals marked + - and brushes. There was a capacitor on the board. Does this make it a DC motor or universal ??

What would be a good way to drive a motor from a 240V AC supply that would allow it to be reversed.

Any good websites to aid picking a motor type ? etc

TIA Ron

--

MrRonMan@googlemail.com
Reply to

sounds like a DC motor to me! must be a Diode or bridge rectifier somewhere!.

"

Reply to
Jamie

"Mr Ron"

** How do you know it is 240 volt??

Does it have only two terminals ?

Does it reverse its rotation ?

Is it magnetic?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nos markewd on side 624103 240V CC CLF 49921 MPC-1-5174 Unit it also powered by 240V supply.

Yes with 2 small smoothing caps grounding to its body.

Yes to drive roller up and down.

Ah, No, doesn't appear to be.

TIA

--

MrRonMan@googlemail.com
Reply to

"Mr Ron" Phil Allison

** Can you see the commutator ?

Approximately how many segments are there?

This will synch it in relation to voltage.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Fooled the spelling check - again.

How about " cinch " ?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes

23

Ta

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terminal Crazy

"Terminal Crazy"

** OK - taking all your replies together, you have a very small, 240 volt AC brush motor - same type used in hand held power tools, kitchen appliances etc.

But one of your replies does NOT fit - ie that it reverses direction of rotation.

To make such a motor reverse direction requires internal connections to be reversed and ideally ( to get the same torque) the brushes to be re-oriented in relation to the commutator segments.

In any case, the motor is a specially built unit to go with the garage door.

You may find a similar size motor inside a small hair dryer - but be careful cos many of them use low voltage DC motors operating from a tap on the air heating coils.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:In article , : Phil Allison wrote: :> "Mr Ron" : :> > The original motor is 240V. 2.5 Inch Dia & 3Inch Long. :> > It has terminals marked + - and brushes. : : :> ** How do you know it is 240 volt??

:Nos marked on side : 624103 240V CC CLF 49921 MPC-1-5174 :Unit it also powered by 240V supply.

With this information we now know the manufacturer. Why not get in contact with them.

Ross Herbert

"Mr Ron"

** Are you 100 % SURE about that ???

Try placing it near a compass or a CRT screen.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

if it has only 2 terminals and is reversible it's a DC motor.

a bridge rectirier and an centre-off DPDT momentary switch.

look for a boilerplate or makers mark on the motor.

Reply to
Jasen Betts