Electric motor with small cross section

Hey, I just do the grand concepts.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

And, it goes hand-in-hand, we have it a hell of a lot easier to bypass things. Switching at high power gets physically messy up around the

10s-100s of MHz due to stray inductance, parasitic capacitance and the finite speed of light. A switcher at 1MHz can be bypassed easily, by which I mean, it can be effectively modeled and treated with a lumped-constant paradigm, where you have loop inductance, bypass capacitance and that's it.

Even with the best of materials (cough, beryllium), the best mechanical switching transmission you could come up with is going to be hard pressed to go over a few hundred Hz. Beyond that, things spring and warp way too much during a cycle to use in a non-resonant fashion. Most of the time, even moderate bypassing is completely out of the question: the equivalent of a

100uF ceramic chip capacitor is approximately a cubic foot of lead!

We have it too easy. We rarely even have to balance things. MEs have to statically, AND dynamically, balance high speed rotating machinery. That sucks. Yes we occasionally do it, too, but only as a last resort (those last few ppm of THD or something) -- MEs have to do it on the "so it doesn't shake itself to pieces" level.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

1.6 million hits.

6.9 million hits.

104 million hits.

generally you can select the the units

why would they use such an awkward term? it seems to be a legal term.

Hybrid automobiles became popular?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

not

any

A dog clutch with a spring to disengage when there's no torque?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Close, but maybe not close enough. The motors used with submersible bore pumps are 'thin' cylinders. They're usually supplied coupled to the pump but they do detach, I've done that to test them. Range of ratings right across your requirements.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Salespeople use horsepower because the number is bigger and torque because it means absolutely nothing.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

AFAIR, most clutches are unidirectional, so that would be more like an SCR.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

not

any

Four quadrant all-mechanical triggering, don't forget. And a gigantic range of operating torques.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've never seen a clutch that latches.

Reply to
krw

Most of the watts hits are from electric bicycles. Removing the electric bikes from the count:

4,040,000 hits

2,400,000 hits

Realistically, I would also need to test the words, bike, kilowatt, HP, kw, etc, but the above is a good start.

Treadmill manuals:

I skimmed a few and found that you can select US or metric units (miles or km), but the output power dispaly (if present) seems to be fixed in either KW or HP. Most of the cheapo units do not display power output, but prefer to display energy in the form of "calories burned". I'm not really familiar with these machines and may have hit upon the exceptions rather than the rule.

"Fractional Horsepower" is a very common term referring to motors smaller than 1HP.

Popular in the press. When mentioned in advertising and spec sheets, hybrid power is usually in the form of KW, not HP. As for sales:

It's not like there's a mad dash to buy hybrids but 25,000 new hybrids each month seems to qualify as popular.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Vassilevsky"

with

possibly

BLDC,

power

at

do

Well they're maybe not stored on a shelf, but if an ESP motor fails you'll get a replacement the next day no matter how isolated your well is.

OT - Tesla originally invented the submersible motor to use in trench warfare. It was used to drill a holes under the opposing forces trenches through which explosives could be placed and remotely detonated.

Reply to
JM

Peace loving guy, that Tesla ;-)

Something to do with his Balkan ancestry?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

From what I've read, he was a good sales man.

So, its money not ancestry.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

That's ambiguous. There are at least two sorts of calorie - gram and kilogram.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Give me low speed torque every time. The difference between a small-block Chevy, and a Fiat 500 :-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The only kind that matters to gym patrons is the kilocalorie type.

Here's a typical machine display:

Distance Speed (mph/ km/h) Total Calories Burned Calories per Hour Level Time Heart Rate Target Heart Rate METs ** Watts

**

No horsepower, no kilowatt-hours, no joules.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

it's not a friction clutch.

manual gearboxes are full of them

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

How did you do it?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I guess one way would be two ratchet and pawls driving a single output shaft from counter-rotating input shafts.

More quietly, maybe drive a gear on a shaft that swings (via some wasted torque) to engage either a CW or CCW otuput gear (low output torque).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If you can use a lower voltage with higher current, if there's a low duty cycle, and if there's some small initial rotation, a Marinov ball-bearing motor will produce tremendous torque. And heat.

Well, you never know.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo