Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

We would be gone. I'm pretty sure the dinosaurs were a lot tougher breed, and they all bought the farm.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Gotta put on my parka and go to Safeway soon. The Diamond Heights Safeway parking lot is officially the coldest place on Earth.

On Saturday, we expect a couple of giant fire trucks in the parking lot and many firemen inside; fire fighters cook a lot. Last week I asked one if there was a firefighter's cookbook; I got an enthusiastic discussion. Turns out there are several.

Reply to
jlarkin

That was animated fiction. Anything is possible.

Just give it a hard kick, or a hundred hard kicks. We should have more orbiting wide-field telescopes to spot these things in time, but we'd rather play with helicopters on Mars and growing carrots in the ISS and putting more bootprints in moon dust.

Reply to
jlarkin

Sure, and put Neil Ferguson in charge of the orbital calculations to decide when and how to fix it. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sea turtles made it through.

Reply to
bitrex

They don't. They let you relax enough to give you access to ideas that your subconscious has been brooding about for ages.

Not that your conscious mind is up to feeding your subconscious with the kind of reliable information that would let it create useful ideas.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The earth is a relatively small target, and you don;t have to give much a of a shove to get it to miss.

But it is the kind of problem that people can anticipate, and put hardware into high orbit, designed to cope with the problem if and when it does show up.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Didn't seem to happen after Chicxulub.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

one would have been ejected along with the associated chunk of atmosphere.

The hydrogen bombs wouldn't b.e used to break up the comet - they'd be used to vaporise a layer on one side of it so that the bulk of the comet got shoved sideways into a slightly different orbit

Fusion-powered would work too. Comets contain a lot of hydrogen, but setting up a deuterium extraction plant on the comet to fuel the device might be time-consuming.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Well, it is also attributed as being the cause of the k-t layer, so wherever that is found, ash fell.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Some of whatever constituted the impactor got vaporised and ended up in the stratosphere, so the k-t layer is rich in iridium where it is is found. This isn't evidence for large lumps of ejecta, which wouldn't have spread out quite as uniformly.

-Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Bill Sloman

That is the wrong way to look at it. At 1mm/sec the energy isn't all that great.

7*10E15 *.5 * 10-6 Joule sounds much more doable. 1 mm/sec sideways can result in a miss over a long stretch of time. The most efficient way to accomplish this is a high velocity yet going in the opposite direction of the shift wanted. Having a nuke at the bottom of a barrel could be the most efficient way to accomplish this. Or any way a nuke would send part of the comet off in a desired direction.

moderna and other outfits has a covid vaccine ready in much less than that.

Groetjes Albert

Reply to
albert

All that bajillion tons of material from the Earth that got pulverized and shot back out into space the way the comet came is going to come back down whatever size it is and dump its energy into the atmosphere, and there's a lot of kinetic energy still there in aggregate. The ejecta plume from that hit is going way above the stratosphere.

Reply to
bitrex

For the first time in history. The next fastest - for mumps - took four years. All the new corona virus vaccines were built on the work put in to get a vaccine against first SARS virus. And engineering a vaccine, and engineering a comet-diverter are very different tasks.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

That bajillion tons of sedimentary rock that got blasted out of the crater went out white-hot and it's gonna come screaming back in white-hot, I expect it's going to be pretty toasty on the surface underneath that "ash fall" it's not like Mt. Saint Helens.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah day-to-day I mostly try not to slip in the shower or get hit by a texting driver which do seem like far more likely causes of death or serious injury over one's lifespan.

Reply to
bitrex

The dinosaurs had a good run but after 150+ million years they had a rough time sorta like the mid 2000s New York Yankees.

The humble sea turtle survived it all and is still with us. Some might say humility can equal longevity

Reply to
bitrex

Not all. I believe some smaller ones survived and even rode the raft south (Antarctica), and also became birds.

Reply to
bitrex

The proposition that a lot of the mass of the comet got shot back out into space isn't all that plausible. There would certainly have been a mushroom cloud - the impact site got very hot indeed, and anything that got volatilised - and quite a bit of stuff did - would have got back up to the stratosphere, but it is very unlikely that any of the crud would have come out whole, and in a state to emerge from the atmosphere at anything like orbital velocity.

does talk about a theory that tektites could have been ejected by large meteor strikes on other planets, but it didn't survive detailed investigation.

Probably not. It's fragments, not a monolithic lump, and air resistance would have slowed them down.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Actually they're putting a lot of money into this. The consensus is that a using an impactor to kinetically deflect the asteroid is the way to go. What they lack in mass they compensate with excessive speed. Apparently there are too many uncertainties with using nukes. They have this DART project in progress which will impact an asteroid this November at 6 km/s, so we'll all be watching for that. Keep your fingers crossed someone didn't install a sensor backwards so that it deflects it into Earth's orbit.

Fred Bloggs