Simulation of ARM7TDMI-S

Hi All - We're using an ARM7TMDI-based chip for an upcoming project. We'd like to be able to simulate the complete system including:

- our own simulation of LCD, buttons, etc

- serial IO simulation (file redirection and/or connection to our peripheral simulators)

- simulation of connected devices via I2C, SPI

- easy "console" redirection for printf-style debug

- ideally with a scripting interface or overlay to run test scripts

It needs to be reliable. We do not need cycle-accurate simulation, but we do need the instruction set to work... We need to be able to add our own peripheral simulation components easily.

There are several ARM emulators out there. Anybody have personal experience using one of these to do something similar ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs, Best Regards, Dave

PS: Windows or Linux host.

Reply to
Dave Nadler

The Keil compiler and IDE has a fairly robust simulator.

How much is your budget ??

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

The customer's budget permits use of Keil tools ;-)

Is the Keil simulator appropriate for what we need to do ? Have you used it in this manner (extended it with your own peripherals, etc) ?

Thanks for your thoughts, Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler

You can download an evaluation version of the Keil tools by filling in the form at:

In terms of extending the simulator please read

-p

--
Paul Gotch
Paul Gotch

Thanks Paul. Has anybody out there had first-hand experience using this, or any other ARM simulator, in the manner we need ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler

Well, my experience with the Keil (a branch from ARM) tool is that are no suitable for SoC design (creating your on peripherals). In that case is better the RVDS from ARM and use the ARMulator. I have done three designs using it and only require to have in vc++ 6 if you running it in a windows machine.

About that app note, I have asked formally to Keil to update it without clear answer where they are going to updated to made it compatible with ARM architecture.

my 2 cents.

Reply to
ARod

The Keil system has some defined interfaces for doing exactly what you need. I have seen it done.

Chris H

In message , ARod writes

Correct. The OP is using an ARM7 MCU not a core in an FPGA or ASIC.

This is correct. The RVDS is used if you are designing your own chip. The OP is not

You completely misunderstand the question. The OP wants to simulate things (peripherals) external the chip that will use the IO on the MCU.

The Keil tools are designed for this.

Chris H