Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing
embedded Linux systems  before a hardware target is available? I
haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will
have a text display and IP/TCP stacks.

Thanks,
Eugene

Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available
hi Eugene,
      U can go for User mode Linux which is simulation of Linux over a
linux machine.visit:

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

U can even go for Vmware which is a simulator again.The player is
available for free,while the workstation isn't.

cheers,
Kaushal

Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available
[snip]

UML won't emulate a different CPU from it's host system, and probably
wouldn't give the OP the environment he needs

IIRC, VMWare is limited to certain CPU types (mostly Intel) and certain
OS guests
The OP could go with the QEMU emulator
(http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu /), which emulates about 6
different CPUs (Sparc x 2, Mips, Arm, PowerPC, Intel),

NB, any virtualization solution will offer only a limited emulated
hardware platform. If the OP's hardware target (NIC, video, serial,
USB, hd controller, etc) differs from the virtualization environment,
he will have to accomodate the low level differences when he finally
ports to the real device.

HTH
--
Lew

Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available
Hi Lew,
       I agree with u.But what Eugyang was asking for was a simulation
environment for building his embedded linux system.Which means he wants
to use Linux as the embedded os.He did not yet decide the cpu ,knows
that it needs Text display and tcp/ip stack and wants to do some
simulation which clearly implies that he is interested in his systems'
application and os behaviour and not cpu behaviour.
cheers,
Kaushal

Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

In a project I worked on, we started to implement the application on a
Linux host and tested it on the host as well. The software architecture
was organized in modules with well defined interfaces (which is a good
idea for most software projects), and typically there would be one
module in user space to deal with every specific hardware (for example,
one CAN communication module to take care of the CAN communication,
etc.; there was also a kernel driver for it, but typically there is some
specific handling of every piece of hardware in user space as well). For
the host environment, we replace those hardware-specific modules by
simpler modules using the hardware that we had on the host (like
replacing the CAN communication by TCP/IP - module that we needed for
TCP/IP communication with other units anyway). The important point was
that the replacing modules needed to provide the same interface as the
real ones. This allowed us to test all the application logic in the host
environment, with all it means (easier debugging, etc.). In parallel,
when the hardware became available, we ported what was already working
on the host to the target.

That required careful project planning but it worked well for us.

Regards,

Alain Mosnier

Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available
check out qemu...
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu /