Coldest winter in 1,000 years on its way

Bungalow Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply to
Jim Yanik

"TheGlimmerMan" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hey, are you bored or something? Since when did perfection ever count on usenet?

You mean like this?

g°o°°f°u°c°k°°y°o°u°r°s°e°l°f°.

Reply to
tm

'Splains a lot :-)

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Only works in Windoze.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

But in most shells, one can jam in any hex or octal value they wish. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My ancestors were 'land speculators'. One of them started a couple towns in Minnesota.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Bullshit.

It is character set dependent, not OS dependent.

Watch what you excrete next time.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You guys are both lost, actually.

Try this:

WallyWallWhackr

No.

Alt + numeric keypad does not work in any X window manager I've used.

It does work in a bash or ksh shell, (but not in an xterm), it doesn't work in csh.

It *is* character set dependent too. degree is 176 here (ISO8559-1).

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

alt-176 ¦ alt-0176 °

Windows XP ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Or use the 'Character map' to select & copy what you want, then paste it into your message.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, it's definitely a DOS thing; it might be something in the BIOS, but Linux ignores the ROM BIOS and loads its own, and they didn't include that alt-nnn feature.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That would be a function of the terminal program (bash, etc.) It has nothing to do with the OS.

Imagine that. You might be getting ready to garner some wit.

You should have been getting a clue by now.

It is character set dependent. If the terminal emulator culls out the alternates set, that is the terminal emulator's problem.

Did you see how Excel handles it? They do both, depending on how you call it and from where.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

It is also Alt-248.

This is why you should have looked at the Excel sheet.

It shows the differences.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

The Omega symbol is a capital 'W' with the SYMBOL font selected.

Depending on the font being used, the location of any given non-standard set symbol will vary from font to font.

Again, examine the character picker spreadsheet. There are five fonts given there. They are engineering, and math fonts. Get the sheet to have the fonts alone, if you do not already have them.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Depends on the character set and the console interface being used.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

This is MS-DOS code page (e.g. CP437, CP850 specific)

This is IEC-8859-1, Windows code page 1252 etc. specific.

If Alt-0128 to Alt-0160 shows up as a printable character, this is solely Windows CP1252 specific.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Funny that it 'worked' *before* Windows then.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan