What battery chemistry did Polaroid use 20 years ago in its Polarpulse batteries?

I have four 20 year old "POLAROID POLARPULSE" batteries that still read 5.8

6V when I measure them. They are about 2" x 3" mounted on a heavyweight pi ece of paper that is 3" x 4". They have been kept at room temperature all the 20 years. It is amazing that after 20 years there is any charge left. I am wondering what chemistry Polaroid used in these batteries?
Reply to
hrhofmann

You might find some useful info on these guys here:

Rev. 11D Meow!

.86V when I measure them. They are about 2" x 3" mounted on a heavyweight piece of paper that is 3" x 4". They have been kept at room temperature al l the 20 years. It is amazing that after 20 years there is any charge left . I am wondering what chemistry Polaroid used in these batteries?

** The Wiki on the Polaroid SX-70 tell me the battery used was "Zinc Chlori de".

Another Wiki informs these are the familiar "Heavy Duty" carbon zinc cells .

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What number battery? P80, P100, P300, etc?? Size wise, I would guess(tm) a P100.

Possibly Zinc-Chloride.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I looked for any other identification on each of the 4 batteries, there were no numbers, and only the words "POLAROID POLAPULSE BATTERY" in full capital letters.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You can compare the dimensions to the different model's dimensions and see which of yours one it is that way.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

Ah but what was the voltage if you put a bit of load on them?

Reply to
N_Cook

I put a 1,000 (1K) ohm resistor across each battery. The voltage stayed at 5.85 volts for 3 of the 4 batteries, the 4th battery went down to 5.2 volts. SO 3 out of 4 supported a 5.8ma load with no change in output voltage. Impressive!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann