The Tesla Winter

There is only one aspect of BEVs that I am not going to enjoy. That is the loss of range in the winter. I have a garage, but it has been storing a s ki boat for some years now and that is going to have to change. Not sure w here I'll put it, but it can't stay here.

That said, I believe the temp in the basement garage will get down to 50 or so in the winter. I'll be keeping closer watch on the temps. I do know a t freezing temps the battery range drops significantly.

There is also the issue of "preconditioning" the battery. I was visiting a friend and tried using that when connected via a 120 volt outlet with poor results. Seems the outlet doesn't provide enough power to heat everything being heated and the range actually dropped. lol So after 20 minutes I s aw the range reduce and stopped it. Next time she will have a 50 amp 240 v olt outlet which will do the trick for sure. Also I will be able to drive there with only one charging stop since I normally charge about 50 miles fr om her place so it is relatively topped off when I arrive. That will make driving the Tesla about the same as driving the truck, one fueling/food sto p on a 500 mile trip.

One leg will be 260 miles and so a bit iffy depending on how the cold affec ts the battery. I can't say yet if a just charged battery (assuming it's u p to temperature) will have the same range in the winter as in summer. I'l l find out soon enough.

Presently my problem is a shorter trip I regularly take. 120 miles one way , a couple days of local driving with few charging opportunities, then 120 miles back. So far I have not once made it back without some sort of charg ing even if it was just from a 120 volt outlet. The location seems to have a paucity of charging other than the very slow J1772 type connectors. The re is a Chademo (DC fast) charger at a MOM's store and they have a Tesla ad apter ($500 if I want my own). I wanted to use it last weekend and someone in a new Nissan was charging. When they were charged I tried using a phon e app to send them a message about it and it wouldn't work, possibly becaus e they had a temporary tag with a number format which wasn't compatible wit h the app. Don't know, no error, it just didn't respond to the button. I asked in the store and the best they could do was to give me a pre-printed slip to put under their windshield. Oh well.

I'm going to look into what I can do to promote installation of chargers th ere, especially a bank of superchargers. It is no small city and is an int ersection of several highways. If it wasn't so close to DC and Baltimore i t likely would have had a bank of Superchargers right off the bat. Instead they have Superchargers 25 miles up the road in the next city.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

la adapter ($500 if I want my own). I wanted to use it last weekend and so meone in a new Nissan was charging. When they were charged I tried using a phone app to send them a message about it and it wouldn't work, possibly b ecause they had a temporary tag with a number format which wasn't compatibl e with the app. Don't know, no error, it just didn't respond to the button . I asked in the store and the best they could do was to give me a pre-pri nted slip to put under their windshield. Oh well.

Does Tesla have priority over Nissan? Who build these chargers? I am prob ably ending up with a Nissan, So, just asking.

there, especially a bank of superchargers. It is no small city and is an i ntersection of several highways. If it wasn't so close to DC and Baltimore it likely would have had a bank of Superchargers right off the bat. Inste ad they have Superchargers 25 miles up the road in the next city.

I have problem finding chargers for my computer and phone on the road, not to mansion car. Businesses are still reluctant to give out pennies with 12

0V outlets. Good luck asking them for dollars.
Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 12:23:59 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

esla adapter ($500 if I want my own). I wanted to use it last weekend and someone in a new Nissan was charging. When they were charged I tried using a phone app to send them a message about it and it wouldn't work, possibly because they had a temporary tag with a number format which wasn't compati ble with the app. Don't know, no error, it just didn't respond to the butt on. I asked in the store and the best they could do was to give me a pre-p rinted slip to put under their windshield. Oh well.

obably ending up with a Nissan, So, just asking.

No priority, first come, first serve. But you should return to move your a uto when the charge is complete. I have a Tesla app that tells me the char ge status with alerts when it is almost done and done. I don't know if Nis san has that, but I would expect so.

The interoperability of chargers and connectors seems a bit of a mess. Jap an, Europe and Tesla all have different connectors and I'm not sure how int eroperable they are. A Tesla comes with a J-1772 adapter and they have Cha demo adapters you can buy, otherwise everything is aftermarket.

Tesla has Superchargers which are fast DC chargers with a 300 mile/hour rat e (120 kW). There are also Tesla only "destination" chargers which are jus t high current 240 VAC with a Tesla connector.

Other fast DC chargers in the US include the Chademo network which is about half that rate and a CCS network which seems to be much more popular in Eu rope. These tend to top out at about half the Tesla rate, ~50 kW.

Then there are the AC chargers which are just 240 volts at various current levels up to around 19 kW.

None of this is clear to me. Too many standards, networks and cell phone a pps. There doesn't seem to be a single, common source for information and in particular location and availability of chargers. The Tesla system is g reat if they are where you want to use them. There are many more other net works, but mostly they are only good for overnight charging.

s there, especially a bank of superchargers. It is no small city and is an intersection of several highways. If it wasn't so close to DC and Baltimo re it likely would have had a bank of Superchargers right off the bat. Ins tead they have Superchargers 25 miles up the road in the next city.

t to mansion car. Businesses are still reluctant to give out pennies with

120V outlets. Good luck asking them for dollars.

??? I find some places don't make Wifi easy. But can't you charge everyth ing in your car? Even my truck has half a dozen cig lighter sockets for po wering devices. The Tesla comes with USB power as well. I may have to fin d the "right" restaurant to get an outlet near a booth or counter so I'm no t tripping people with the cord.

Every aspect of car charging should be organically integrated with the car. The Tesla shows you maps with Superchargers indicated. That's not always the best solution. Once I stayed overnight in a hotel and had to charge i n the morning before I could leave, so an hour spinning my wheels at a mall . Turns out the hotel had a slow charger which would have done the job ove rnight while I slept if I had known.

Early days, early days...

Rick C. Tesla referral code --

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Average battery range in the Volt in summer is around 65, wintertime around 42, 43 miles at best. The engine switches on occasionally for about a minute every 20 minutes or so when it's below around 27, 28 degrees F to assist with heating the cabin and keeping the battery coolant at optimal temperature.

The only time the actual drivetrain has given me trouble in the winter was one morning when it was about -15 F, I got a "Propulsion Power Reduced" warning and the car's acceleration was sluggish for a couple minutes until everything warmed up, after that it was fine

Reply to
bitrex

During very hot weather maybe 90 degrees F + there's some kind of auxiliary cooling blower or pump that comes on to cool the power electronics, you can hear it running under the hood when plugged in outside in the sun even with the ignition shut down

Reply to
bitrex

been

ing

Tesla

Yeah, batteries don't like hot any more than they like cold. I watched a v ideo on how they cool the Tesla batteries and it's interesting. They also heat them in the winter using waste heat from the motors, etc. along with t he cabin.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code ---

gnuarm.deletethisbit

And in heated garages the salt-induced corrosion speeds up significantly. It's always something. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the loss of range in the winter. I have a garage, but it has been storing a ski boat for some years now and that is going to have to change. Not su re where I'll put it, but it can't stay here.

0 or so in the winter. I'll be keeping closer watch on the temps. I do kn ow at freezing temps the battery range drops significantly.

What heated garage? A garage that is attached to a house is "heated"?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code ----

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Since the Volt has a gas-burner towed along with anyway I guess they figured they'd just use electric heat to save cost on a more complicated heat exchange system, and when it's really cold a little boost from the ICE now and then to keep the power draw down somewhat when running cabin heater when on electric. When driving on gas in the winter cabin heat operates via engine coolant loop exchange as normal AFAIK.

as a New England native "cold" maybe doesn't make me quite as uncomfortable as folks from warmer climates, I generally don't use the cabin heat at all unless it's below freezing outside; anything warmer than that and just the heated wheel, heated seats, and a jacket or coat is good enough for me. -15 is a different story tho that's some Arctic-type cold and I definitely wouldn't have to live with that shit day after day for very long. Plunges into the double digit negatives are fortunately fairly rare in the Boston area, maybe once or twice a year.

New England is like the platonic ideal of a "temperate" climate I guess, every season is kind of a caricature of itself. The Volt has been a great all-season car tho aside from that one time it's always started up and run great in all conditions, deep snow, 95+ F heat, torrential summer downpours.

About the only "mod" I've made is swap out the stock ultra-low-rolling resistance Goodyear tires for some Continental PureContacts with a lil more traction. The stock are nice for California probably but they wore out fast here and never provided very good grip, easy to spin them out with that high torque motor on even slightly slick pavement. Only a small range/fuel economy reduction with the PureContacts that I noticed. I've thought about getting fog lights installed, they're a factory option easily done at the dealer, but haven't gotten around to it yet, they're not just for show the fog can be pretty treacherous around here in fall particularly can hardly see the side of the road.

Reply to
bitrex