Its soooo hot in Phoenix...

That my LCD car clock turned solid black.

-- Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com

"Any sufficiently advanced magick is indistinguishable from technology."

Reply to
Luhan Monat

"Its 110 in the shade.... and there ain't no shade!"

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Maybe that's why VFDs are popular in US vehicles ? It's always puzzled me why US car stereos use VFDs ( whenever I've seen one an a TV prog for example ) when European ones use LCDs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Reminds me - must get the a/c in my car fixed ! Uk summers can be uncomfortably warm and humid these days - climate change and all that....

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Well, I lived in Phoenix for about 1 1/2 years. It got up to 117 once. "Warm" is 100.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

I've been in Phoenix when it was 120 and the planes could not take off due to the heat.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

When we were traveling through Death Valley one summer we asked the campground manager how cold does it get at night. He looked at our Canadian licence plates and quipped "You mean how hot does it stay?" They call it dry heat because it dries your bones out. I wish we had some of that weather right now. It was 43°F this morning

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Its soooo hot in Phoenix... that the Canadians have finally gone home. Now the street speeds are back up to normal ;-)

...Jim Thompson

In Phoenix I bet the humidity is low.

That makes a *big* difference.

Mumbai / Bombay is always humid and very 'sticky'.

The winter months aren't so bad though.

I recall one specific instance when 300 mm ( one foot ) of rain fell in 8 hrs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No joke. And the univerity's out of session too. Makes commuting much faster.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Just be glad you don't live in Quartzsite... it runs about 15 degrees warmer there. Average mid-summer temperature: 130 degrees.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

I avoid Tempe like the plague (liberal loonie town :-), and I don't commute... I just walk from bedroom to office about 30' away, so I'm only impinged by I10, US60, Loop101 and Loop202 traffic.

...Jim Thompson

Yes, for reasons of cheapness, I'm told... I think that's been fixed now.

The airlines use "weight & balance" tables to determine how to set the wing flaps during takeoff to get enough lift, based on the load and air density (influenced by altitude & temp).

They buy the tables from the manufacturers, and they didn't pay for data above ~118 degrees. Oops.

They can manually calc (backup for when the systems are down), but it apparently takes a lot longer. Flights are generally delayed when the W&B system is down.

There's also the possibility that the runway got "too short" at that temp. For example, flying out of Steamboat Springs, Colorado (higher altitude), if it gets too warm they have to take passengers off the plane to ensure enough lift. (They have to reach takeoff speed by the mid-point so they have enough runway left in case of an abort.)

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.
[snip]

COS is the same way. One time I was there in August they couldn't get volunteers to get off, so they removed all the baggage. THEN people got off. I could care less, I was going home.

But I lived to regret it... it is NOT FUN to fly thru a summer thunderstorm in the Rockies :-(

...Jim Thompson

Leaving it on the back window ledge in summer killed my talking calculator (no sound and the display went permanently black). Too bad, it was very annoying (Mandarin-speaking only). I have a multi-lingual talking calculator somewhere but the speech quality is not nearly as good.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Especially in the flying pencils they use for those low-traffic routes... where trimming weight & balance amounts to moving passengers to different seats.

I spent a few years in airports and I found it curious that the weather seems to have the opposite effect here - when it's clear & hot (& still), you'll get a wild ride; during "monsoon" season, you'll get a smooth ride despite the high winds and downpour.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

:-) Yep, it's all relative. Though I have to say, above 110 it all feels the same. The videotapes left in the car just melt faster; the seatbelt still scalds you; you still need oven mits to grab the steering wheel; a breeze makes you hotter, not cooler, etc.

It's funny how one will adapt to the climate... It needs to reach 100 before it's warm enough to go swimming (really, unless the pool is heated). OTOH, if it hits 65 we're breaking out the jackets, and 50 calls for a heavy coat. Fortunately, it takes a 2-hour drive to the mountains to get colder than 35. But the summer more than makes up for the mild winters.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Correct, everyone knew the planes physically COULD take off but there was the legal responsibility issue. No one would accept responsibility unless the manufacterures approved the extended figures.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

A very pleasant 23C (73F) here.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I was being courteous to our American neighbors. Canada is officially metric.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar