60V DC dangerous?

In article , wrote: [....]

I think it is near certain that a different memory system is needed to get computer vision to work anything like as well as an animals.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I'll skip the obvious crack and suggest that its because cavemen didn't have to remember phone numbers.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I recall from my Navy days a safety lecture that showed a finger burned off when someone's wedding ring got across the 28V from an aircraft jet-starter auxiliary power machine.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Name one example of this ever happening.

You've been watching too much star trek.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Something I've always wondered about star-trek - with a starship under attack, exploding consoles, falling girders etc - how come this never lets the vacuum in?!!!

Reply to
ian field

And every planet, asteroid, or alien spaceship they beam into has a comfortable room temperature and standard oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, and nobody ever complains about how things smell.

John

You haven't been around industry enough:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Because of the hull integrity fields??? (they are always reporting on % hull integrity)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You've been watching too much _Lost in Space_. The carrot guy wouldn't have any problems.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

And every alien, on every planet, no matter how remote, looks just like a human in makeup, and they all speak perfect TV English! ;-)

(I'd like to learn dolphin, or octopus. ;-) )

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:46:44 GMT, AZ Nomad Gave us:

Such a flash could cause a temporary blind spot in one's vision. The other danger is a spattering of molten metal... much ouch.

But yes, ther are UV emissions in such an event, as well as x-rays.

In fact, any time an electrical arc strikes a metallic surface x-rays are produced. In some cases much more than others.

Let 180kV strike a block of Palladium. Just make sure that you are behind a lead Curtain when you do it.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Or a permanent blind spot. The brain "papers over" the blind spot and you cease to notice it, but your vision is degraded. A visual field test can detect this.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I know someone that that happened to. He was tightening the +ve terminal of a 12V vehicle battery with a spanner and his wedding ring shorted to earth. He said that most of the damage was done by him, frantically trying to pull the wedding ring off.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Because you have too many other things on your mind?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whilst I am not dismissing that electro-shock therapy may in part at least work by damaging "bad memories", one cannot ignore that depression is often marked by low or irregular electrical activity in the brain, or perhaps - weather this is cause or effect - the boffins dont quite know. however, it is interesting that passing massive voltages through the brain do seem to lift depression - sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent. perhaps this is akin to "jumpstarting" the brain from a somewhat idle state, or resetting it into "normal" rythmic cycles. Interestingly an article appeared in issue 2547 of new scientist (April

15th 2006) entitled "Electrify your mind - literally", for the benefit of those without subscription, in a nutshell the technology called Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) involves passing a DC current of around 9v across the brain using electrodes attatched to the skin on the temples.

"the technique has already been shown to boost verbal and motor skills and to improve learning and memory in healthy people - making fully-functioning brains work even better. It is also showing promise as a therapy to cure migraine and speed recovery after a stroke, and may extract more from the withering brains of people with dementia."

More research is going into this area of research, and they are hoping that this may yield some interesting results on subjects suffering from long-term depression and insomnia.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

The brain doesn't exactly "paper over" a blind spot, the eyes continually move by small amounts so the image in the blind spot is continually refreshed. We all have a blind spot at the point where the optic nerve meets the retina, if you fix your stare on one spot the image at this point does not get refreshed and the blind spot will gradually appear!

Reply to
ian field

It's easy and fun to graph the size and shape of your blind spots.

John

I dont believe the enterprise has a toilet

Reply to
Mark Fortune

how?

Reply to
Mark Fortune

They crap in a photon-torpedo casing and fire it at the nearest sun, or alien ship whichever is nearest!!!

Reply to
ian field