Dangerous Mains Leads !

** Amasing what a little Googling will turn up ...

Dangerous Mains Leads! - Safety warning about dangerous mains cables - have you had this problem?

John Woodgate has advised that he has recently received a report from a normally reliable source that a large number of potentially dangerous mains leads have been released onto world markets. The existence of these defective leads was first reported in Australia. The leads have an IEC 60320 connector at one end and one of various different mains plugs at the other end. Not surprisingly, the leads carry apparently convincing approval marks. The danger comes from the fact that the conductors are not only very thin, but also of abnormally high resistance. As a result, not only is the current-carrying capacity (for an acceptable temperature rise) limited, but the protective conductor resistance is much too high - about 0.5 Ohms for a

3 m lead has been reported. When used for a computer, monitor or printer, such leads would not overheat, but the earthing is not satisfactory, and this would not normally be detected until, possibly, too late. If such a mains lead were transferred to feed a higher-current load, within its apparent current rating, it would quite possibly burn up.

We have not yet seen any press reports about this problem, but the report received by John Woodgate said that one large manufacturer had recalled suspect leads. It is strongly recommended that vigilance should be maintained, implemented at the practical level by d.c. resistance measurement checks on incoming mains leads.

The Standards Office is keen to hear from any member who has found this problem. Please contact us.

(This warning first appeared in the September 2002 issue of Standards News, issue 124.)

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reminds me of an ad I heard on the radio recently about electrical safety, they seem to be running a couple of different ads to make the public aware of various things. Anyway, this particular ad talked about extension lead safety and to ensure that you only use extension leads with 3 pin plugs so the earth connection stays intact. Fair enough, but I can't say I've ever seen an extension lead (legal, illegal, local or imported) that *doesn't* use 3 pins. Has anyone?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** Yep.

Home made ones with figure 8 or two core round cable.

Ones with the ground pin broken off the plug end.

Still got SFA to do with the horrific fire hazard created of grossly undersized conductors in an IEC appliance lead.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just checking all the cords we have here, I found another 4 of these leads. All would have been supplied in the last 18 months, All had Australian Plugs (of different styles) and all were around the 0.5 ohm per metre reading. Lengths vary from 1 metre to 1.5 metre.

I would suggest everyone on this group does an immediate safety check on any leads that they may have in use.

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

** That is indeed VERY worrying news.

Surely YOU must know exactly who these illegal and highly dangerous leads came from.

So YOU have a massive, moral obligation to report them to the relevant safety authority IMMEDIATELY !!!

Unless perhaps YOU are in reality the importer by having purchased them direct from China yourself ??

Time to own up, Mr Reed.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For kreed, and any others holding similar leads, if you do not wish to contact one of the State based regulators yourself then please feel free to email me and I will add these to the details for a number of samples I already hold. As time permits my company has been preparing test reports (gratis) against AS/NZS3191 and AS/NZS3112 for non-compliant leads. These tests will be completed over the next 30 days and a detailed submission including the test reports will be submitted to both the NSW DFT and the Qld DIR.

Anyone wishing to submit samples will be required to make a statement regarding the time and point of supply, the details will be discussed by email and telephone. Please note, if you supply any samples they must be recently purchased and please do not go out looking for items to specifically send to us as this program is drawing to a close. Samples that are sent may or may not be used as part of the testing program. Most likely they will be used to cross-reference against those that are already in the program. Samples will not be returnable once received but instead I will offer a replacement cord by return post. Until such time as the regulators conduct and conclude an investigation we will not be able to individually supply or publicly release test results or findings, otherwise we risk getting sued.

For the record we are not in the cord business, nor the supply of any other type of consumer products that would profit from the action we are taking. This is solely being done because of the gravity of the problem and in the interest of the public good. We are not receiving reward nor recompense for this action, which was commenced in Sept 2006.

I can be contacted on the following email: au snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au In the subject line please put "AU cord-set compliance review"

Reply to
Dave

** WARNING to ALL Aus.Electronics readers !!!

Do NOT have any dealings ** whatsoever ** with the

ANONYMOUS raving psychopath calling itself "Dave".

This guy is a GRANDIOSE NUT CASE

and is dangerously SELF DELUDED.

....... Phil

Reply to