OT: Now via SuSE 10.1

And the version number(s) is?

Reply to
pbdelete

My SuSE 10.1 seems to be working (mostly).

I still can't get xine to work but I'm sure I figure it out eventually. It aborts as soon as it starts.

LTSpice seems to work just fine under the latest version of wine.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Suse/Linux is really anti american, so I'm told

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Wine = 0.9.11 LTSpice = 2.17q

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

You've got it wrong. Finland is a threat but it is cell phones that are the instrument of doom for the US. Nokia is slowly taking over all of the cell phone industry. If you control communications, you control the debate. Try saying something bad about Finland into a cell phone and see what happens.

In some places cell phones are also being made to work like credit cards. As a result, Finland will not only be able to cut off your communications but they will also control the money. All the bombers and troop in the world won't do any good if every time you try to attack Finland, they all end up going to Antartica and bombing it.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

phone

will

good

This is absolutely frightening. Aren't the Americans going to do anything about ruining the precious underground ecosystem in Antartica with nukes.

Will Nokia control that new GPS system as well? If so we must stop them and hand over control from Nokia to ICANN, the independent controller of the internet. Obviously, that organisation for poor people, the commie UN, wont help

Fortunately all my money is in Spanish Bin Laden's and so I have no need for cash cards. My car is a mechanical injected diesel, so an EMP won't be a problem

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

[....]

Most americans don't even know about lake Vostok and the dangers from the microbes it contains, not to mention the things that live inside the rocks down there. All those nice stone buildings and countertops, are just lunch to them.

I not directly, they will indirectly. Remember that whoever is at the controls gets his orders over the phone.

Its too late. Nokia is even gaining control over the internet. To stop them wwe all should ^%$&*DI&^@^*(&@)^))WEW ^$#*&#@^#*@)(&@)$#@^!@!)(&& (*&(@&#(&@(# NO CARRIER

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

phone

Conan O'Brien looks like their president. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It funny you know, when i install XP, everything seems to work.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Only seems to.

A few week ago I had to repeat an experiment because XP drops characters on the serial port. My old DOS machine at 33MHz, could keep up and was what saved the day on that project.

At work, I briefly has an XP machine. It was infected with worms before I could download the patches needed to keep them out. Somewhere there are some nice pictures of a PC and keyboard and mouse etc in garbage cans in front of the IT guys door.

Where I work, the decided to switch to CP-pro and XP servers over the xmass-newyears break. They are still losing e-mails and not able to send them etc.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I have a whole state runnning on win2k3, no problems ever. Uses sql2000, no problems ever. about 600 xp machines scattered around the state, no software problems ever.

I never loose emails. I never have dropped characters on serial ports (i use serial ports at every site) and the only problems i do have is with a PCI card that was designed inhouse by engineers who completely f***ed the interface.

BTW, i use AVG and MS antispyware. EMail is on exchange/outlook

Reply to
The Real Andy

In article , The Real Andy wrote: [....]

What Baud rate are you running. I was doing 115200 baud with about a 90% duty cycle and lost characters.

[...]

That is what we use too. There is no doubt that emails go missing and bounce for no reason. I guess it could be in how it is set up. We hired an "expert" to do it.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I run 9600, 19200, 57600 and 115200.

The port running at 19200 is going flat out, 24/7 and never drops chars.

Dont get me wrong, i am not saying that MS does not have problems. In the end it all comes down to the users experience. Fortunately i deal with both linux and micorsoft, and I dislike it when either team bags the other. Both have there place, neither is perfect.

I hate to say it, cause i feel biased, but every place i work the MS teams always deliver faster, and with less bugs. Yet, the smartest guys i meet are linux c++ people, who hate windows, yet they never deliver. Perfect code, or working and deliverable code.????

Reply to
The Real Andy

I forgot to mention that these days most ports are running USB, so there is another layer of abstraction. The USB drivers i use are the FTDI variety.

Can i ask another question, how do you communicate with the serial port code wise?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Will this stop me ordering a takeaway?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

In article , martin griffith wrote: [....]

No, you can expect that the junk food, TV shows and movies etc will keep flowing to the end. Nokia may be getting ready to get into the voting machine business too so I guess there will still be "elections".

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Was this on Win2K or XP? Is it a specific card or just random cards. I'd really like to be able to solve this problem.

[....]

Where I work, its sort of a "tastes great v. less filling" joke. No-one takes the issue super seriously. (with about 2 exceptions) I got started on Linux because I think I may build it into a product some day and I wanted to run a bunch of DOS stuff that didn't work under Windows-Me.

I like Linux but I hate C++. C++ is a horrid kludge.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , The Real Andy wrote: [....]

In my case: One Laptop had a serial port in it. The other used a Keyspan(IIRC) USB to serial converter. In both cases, characters were dropped. The built in serial port was on a slower laptop and dropped more. Both had XP-Pro on them.

I didn't do the code so I can't say for sure. I know that the code is developed using the "Windows studio" and following their suggested methods.

BTW: On the slower laptop, using the Windows code or running a DOS app in a "command window" seemed to lose about the same number of characters.

All observations about rates of errors in the DOS case, were made in a 90 degree 90 % humidity environment with 6 people watching so they are a bit suspect.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I am really smashed atm, so excuse me pls. I use xp. i do c++ and i use that dcb thing, like create dcb and file thing.

Where i work no one gives a f*ck so long as it works. But if it does not work then i get anally raped. It hurts when that happens

I hate c++, but like some ms nerd said of late, c++ is a veneer for old slow micro puters. So, yeah i am a c++ h*mo.

Reply to
The Real Andy

In article , The Real Andy wrote: [...]

Machines should be the servent of man not the other way around. A good compiler should be able to take a good formal language input and produce a small fast program as a result.

Most of the high level programming I do is in the Borland flavor of Pascal. I like having run time checking.