60V DC dangerous?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:47:34 GMT, AZ Nomad Gave us:

The movie "The Green Slime" c1971

Very funny bad sci fi. Almost achieved cult status it was so bad.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:50:47 GMT, Rich the Philosophizer Gave us:

The brain interprets the visual data from your eye, and even changes the way it does so on the fly. Not related to blind spots per se, but watch some vertically scrolling text for a few minutes, the move to a page of text that isn't moving... and it will appear to be scrolling!

Same thing for motor biking. Watch a gravel road pass under your feet for a while then look up at the non scrolling world, and see that your brain has changed the way it deals with the imagery. It takes a few seconds for it to revert back to full frame processing.

Even right to left scrolling (or left to right of course), such as a news or stock ticker tape scrolling on your screen can cause the effect.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:08:06 GMT, "Rich, but drunk" Gave us:

Those weren't peep holes, those were "Glory Holes".

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:47:34 GMT, AZ Nomad Gave us:

You don't have to beam something somewhere. Just deconstruct it, then lose the data. Transport to nowhere.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:30:44 GMT, "Rich, but drunk" Gave us:

You are f****ng retarded, shit for brains.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:28:43 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian Gave us:

If we have your case to use as an example of the norm... likely never.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:48:23 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

When I was a kid, I had about twenty or more numbers in my head. Upon using cell phones, that's where they all went. Now, I have to write them down. I guess I'll get a cell phone again.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

If its any help to the discussion, the new DMM I bought yesterday has a warning in the instruction manual to take extra care with AC voltages over

30V and DC voltages over 60V.
Reply to
ian field

Phone numbers are too easy to look up; no need to remember them. Passwords are another kettle of fish. They're simply evil. I have, likely, a hundred passwords to remember. I try to set all the business ones the same, every 60 days! ...but always forget one or two. Personal ones are in a couple of categories, depending on sensitivity of the data. All "news" web sites (no money involved) get the same password and it never changes. My home system (and associated emails, NNTP, etc.) get another couple of layered passwords (the fingerprint reader on my laptop is nice). Where financial records are involved I *tend* to use another, but that's not great either.

The real problem is when one must write down passwords to remember them. This obviously defeats the whole purpose.

--
  Keith
Reply to

The Enterprise runs around Uranus wiping out Klingons.

--
  Keith
Reply to

bright

I was temporary blinded (as in could not see anything including light) from shorting out a 208V 3 phase 200A panel - I was removing a breaker and as I took the screw out, the bakelite piece that holds the breakers in place when the screw(s) are not holding it, and to provide insulation between the phases was cracked and fell away. This allowed the breaker's tab to fall across 2 phases, no further then 12" from my face. Apparently there was quite a deafening "BANG" when it happened. After I got back from the hospital (Checking my eyes, mostly for welders flash (I was OK, had a very slight gritty feeling in my eyes), but I had contacts in which likely blocked a lot of UV), where were massive smoke / condensed metal stains on adjacent breakers, the panel, my screwdriver, the tab on the breaker was half gone, and I still never found the screw. I also ended up with a blotchy sunburn. The feed was from a 1200A transformer (rated for nearly 500 kVA), so the current limit was likely the 2 runs of about 1/2" diameter nu-al wire feeding the phases.

You likely wouldn't feel much at first from nearly vaporized molten metal spatter, since when it hits, it would likely incinerate the tissue, including nerves.

Reply to
Jeff L

And this thread started with talking about 60V on a circuit board. See many PC traces carrying 40KW?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:22:23 -0400, krw Gave us:

Einstein said that if one can look it up, one shouldn't commit it to memory. "It clutters the mind..."

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:22:23 -0400, krw Gave us:

Big breech of security protocols.

What I hate is that they force one to change them "occasionally".

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

The inability to let go of a conductor is actually worse with AC. The unsteadiness of AC is a major part of an electric shock forcing muscles to contract.

Don Klipstein

Sue, but when "security protocols" exceed the ability to remember, guess what gets ejected first.

My CPOE demands (enforced) they be changed every 60 days. Given that I have accounts in a half-dozen sites across the country (and some in Europe that I just let go), and another half dozen applications (and Windows/dialer/...) it *is* a problem. PW length is another issue (they're not all the same).

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:02:35 -0400, krw Gave us:

HAIPE IS and IPv6 will change that... or at least make a minimum length that is so long one would not exceed it often.

I typically use the same PW with small changes in the tail, like an exclamation point or that and a number. That way I remember it and it is still unable to be easily compromised. They are that already... virtually uncrackable. Fingerprint swipers will get used more often as well. Many systems' access requisites will require multiple modes of authentication per session, some even querying the user again mid-session.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

Maximum? Some systems have a limit on PW length that's so deeply burried, major OS rewrites are necessary to change it.

Punctuation in passwords isn't allowed on most of our systems. Alpha-numeric only. The rules stipulate a numeric in the middle and alpha at the beginning (among a dozen other rules).

I like the fingerprint reader on my laptop, though one still needs passwords.

Barf! It a big enough PITA when my AFS tokens for systems across the country expire mid session. I've sorta figured out all the symptoms when this happens so it doesn't take me an hour to figure out that I need to reacquire a token. When security gets in the way of productivity, it's security that is wrong.

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:31:57 -0400, Keith Gave us:

Investigate HAIPE and IPv6.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:31:57 -0400, Keith Gave us:

Get an RFID embedded in your hip.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard