VIAS in Protel 2004

I was once chewed out by a junior eng for placing vias under components. His reasoning was that he "wanted to use them as test points and to insure the continuity of the circuit thorough the board" I replied that I would oblige as soon as he took the revised cost estimate and his reasoning to his boss. Vias stayed.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

Hello, How tell the Autorouter does not place vias under a component,but route a track (top and bottom layer) is permitted. bye

Reply to
Andi

Just wondering... why would you want to do this?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

A way to do this might be to create a new plane and add copper (tracks, fills, polygons or whatever) to the areas where you don't want vias, and lock the tracks. The autorouter will be able to route past the copper on other planes, but it can't add a via without causing a short-circuit. Once the routing is finished, simply remove the extra plane.

Reply to
David

It's a standard feature in Orcad- you just create a via keepout obstacle.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Andi

It can be useful with prototypes if you think you might have to cut tracks and do some rewiring.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Not nesessarily the bars should be in the copper (plane or routing) layers. You may specify keepouts in any non-routing areas, say, Mechanicalxx. Then just add a new clearance rule like a clearance between objects Via and (IsKeepout And OnMechanical). You will be able to keep these bars in your component footprints, and control via placement by turning on and off your clearance rules.

Reply to
Andrei Minaev