Latest threads in Electronics Down Undershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

why are laptop chargers 19 volt when batteries are only half that?
? One possibility is the reduce the current, and therefore the thickness (and so cost) of the connecting wires and plugs and sockets. The voltage can be reduced, and the current correspondingly...
2
2

Ed McGaw
This is a long shot, but I've been asked by an American friend if I can locate a guy called Ed McGaw. He worked for Scientific Atlanta and/or Quan-Tech in New Jersey some years ago. He resides in...
1
1

Newsreader needed
Does anyone know of a usenet newsreader that lets you sort by replies to just your own posts? so instead of wading thru lots of posts looking for replies to yours, you can easily find them. thanks, I...
13
13

Phone battery question.
After 15 or so years the nicad battery in our 30y.o. portable phone has chucked it in (it's only ever had one replacement). The current options are nicad or Ni-MH. Which way should I go? If Ni-MH how...
23
23

Looking for a 3.3v LDO regulator with enable
I'm looking for a 3.3V 500mA LDO regulator that has an enable input. I'd like it to be physically large enough for hand soldering, and it'd be great if I could buy it from an Australian supplier. Any...
2
2

Happy Birthday
Special birthday greetings for a couple of weeks ago to one of the stars of this group. He knows who it is! ?

Reliability of electronics
As discussed elsewhere, I commented on the appalling reliability of certain items purchased from Jaycar and I expressed my opinion that Jaycar should not be relied on for anything sophisticated. Like...
15
15

Jaycar.
It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers are looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M. Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store, the way they did...
15
15

Totally OT: Water tank weirdness
The problem started with the appearance of dust and grit falling into the bath. It was not at all obvious where it was coming from. With showers being preferred, the bath is little used, so this...
10
10

Ping: Bob Parker
Bob, I hope you still pop in from time to time. I was just exchanging emails with Phil Allison and I note that you once owned a BWD 521 CRO. I am hoping you may still have the operator's manual lying...
8
8

Which is the better state for rechargable Batteries!!
When I moved house about five years ago, I stupidly left my motor mower in the shed!! Stupid Me! So, over the last five years, I've been getting a 'Jim's Gardening' guy in to mow and clean up the...
14
14

The tribulations of the design engineer
Subscribe for more short comedy sketches & films: http://bit.ly/laurisb Funny business meeting illustrating how hard it is for an engineer to fit into the corporate world! Watch the next episodes:...
3
3

Element14 Australia Post tracking numbers.
Element14 seem to be having difficulty with these tracking numbers, and are leaving off the final digit. Until they get it fixed, one can quickly go through the possibilities to find the correct final...
1
1

rooftop solar unbalancing the grid
I use a contact voltage tester and it went off on a utility box. Just the l owest light on the indicator bar, which isn't serious. There was an electri city line crew at the house next door, so I...

Element14 doesn't like my review
All I was doing was pointing out that connecting an appliance that needs an earth via an adapter that (unaccountably) fails to provide one is dangerous. Sylvia. How did you phrase your review? Peter...
8
8