Phone battery question.

After 15 or so years the nicad battery in our 30y.o. portable phone
has chucked it in (it's only ever had one replacement).  The current
options are nicad or Ni-MH.

Which way should I go?

If Ni-MH how long is it likely to last?

I only get around 4 years between replacements with a Samsung mobile
which presumably has a smart charger, hence the question.

--
John H

Re: Phone battery question.
Can you use a Ni-MH battery in it? Will the in-built charging system
suffice for a Ni-MH battery? I generally replace like for like in those
circumstances and use NiCad to replace NiCad. That said, I had a triple
set of those phones and it was cheaper to buy a new set of *phones* than
bother with a set of 3 batteries. Yes, they were all on the way out.

--
Xeno

Re: Phone battery question.

Both types are available to fit it.  Both have the same plug.

Dunno, that's why I'm asking. Both are the same voltage but presumbly
later phones have smart chargers... or so I've been told.

John H

Re: Phone battery question.

Ni-MH.

About the same time again.

But that is a Li ion battery so quite different.

Re: Phone battery question.

Oops, my mistake.

--
John H

Re: Phone battery question.

**If the 'phone was designed to use NiCad batteries, then that is what
you should use. NiCad and NiMh batteries have different charging
requirements.

Re: Phone battery question.

It predates Ni-MH but both are cuurently available as replacements.
It's the differences in the charging systems that concern but I'm
unsure as to whether it really matters.

--
John H

Re: Phone battery question.

If it predates NiMH, then it's unlikely to be designed to charge them
properly.

Stick with what's known to work.

Sylvia.

Re: Phone battery question.

I failed to mention that the nicad is twice the price but there's also
a possibility they'll no longer be available further down the track.
Nor do I want the hassle of replacing the phone as the cradle is
screwed to the wall.

Consequently I've decided to stick with nicad and hope it lasts
another 15 years..

Thanks to all who replied.

--
John H

Re: Phone battery question.

Thanks for the washup, too rare imo.

Re: Phone battery question.
John_H wrote:
============

** You never mentioned what size:  AA,  AAA or button cell pack ?

**  Very few made any more.

** Poor diddums.

**   Wot an pie eyed optimist.

Any NiCds you buy today are likely to be old stock - up to 10 years old.

.....   Phil

Re: Phone battery question.

Does that matter? My experience with rechargables (though I'm not
sure about NiCds in particular) has been that old but never-used
batteries have good performance similar to new.

SLAs may be an exception, my leaving those on a shelf doing nothing
for a few months has often turned out to be a death sentence. Very
annoying given how pricy they are.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Phone battery question.

He did say connector and since its an ancient cordless phone,
it isnt likely to be any of those.

Nope, thats what the previous batterys delivered.

Re: Phone battery question.

Call pack. 2/3AA.

Yep, holes to plug but painting is the worst part.  The colours never
match and I certainly don't wish to repaint a room.

The previous two did.  :)

Dunno about that, Wes still list Japanese nicad cells (Sanyo or
Panasonic) although that may cease at any time in the future.

Not sure that age matters much either as they seem to last forever
until the first charge.

Which raises yet another.  Current model Sennheiser cordless
headphones use nicads as do the cordless headphones from Wes.  I
certainly don't want to throw the Sennheisers away. :(

--
John H

Re: Phone battery question.
John_H wrote:
============

** Absurd crap.

 NiCds do not usually have a long shelf life.
They corrode and leak if allowed to go flat.
Just like Alkaline cells do.

.....   Phil

Re: Phone battery question.

Why don't the 10 year old ones leak?

--
John H

Re: Phone battery question.

**It can matter. Use NiCads.

Re: Phone battery question.
Trevor Wilson wrote:
=================

** Shame how they are banned from retail sale over most of the world.
  Cadmium is toxic and persistent in the environment.

 Even CdS photo cells are banned in the EU etc.

......   Phil

Re: Phone battery question.

Bullshit they are and they clearly aren't banned here and that's what
matters.

Irrelevant to what John should use.

Re: Phone battery question.
 Rod Speed Fuckwit Idiot wrote:

** But we do not make them here and few companies make them at all now.
  New products do NOT use them, they are 100% OBSOLETE !!!

**  Massively relevant to finding any.

......   Phil

Site Timeline