Re: DIY Electronic Vehicle Rust Prevention

I've found where Wikipedia has this technology filed:

The PDFs in the references are very interesting. This summarises one of the scientific tests and also reveals the waveform of another system. 10V 3us pulses at 10KHz, which is rather different to the other specs. That signal would be even easier to generate.

Computer Nerd Kev
<snip>

Don't waste your time. It's already been done. They don't work.

The best prevention against rust is to ensure that the metal is adequately coated with something that forms a durable and effective moisture barrier, and while electric processes exist to remove rust, there are none that prevent rust from occurring.

Reply to
Noddy

Reading the Wikipedia article and looking through the references has encouraged me. At least the two Canadian devices that had lab tests done seemed to make a difference, in an area where the paint was scratched through. They tested with salt spray though, whereas I just want to protect against normal dampness and trapped moisture.

I'd like to try the same test leaving some scratched steel panels outside for a month or two connected to different signals/voltages/electrodes. I'm not sure where to find scrap sheet metal with good paint though. Perhaps if I can get a broken fridge off someone?

There seem to be plenty of rust-preventative businesses selling them all over Aus. But I guess we don't have the same laws as Canada requiring public proof of their effectiveness, and I haven't seen one that actually guarantees your car won't rust, just that the device itself won't stop (not?) working.

Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

The only experiments I have found online, via the Wikipedia article I found later, say the (Canadian) devices do work! So which ones say they don't?

Well I'm better with a soldering iron than a spray can, and there are some places that a spray can won't reach anyway (which is what I was looking into those wax spray substances for).

I hadn't looked into removing rust electrically either actually, but it looks like that'd require dunking your car in a tank of water. I'll stick to rust converter goos and a Dremmel.

Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

Stick to whatever you like, but there are no electronic rust prevention processes out there that are anything other than snake oil.

Reply to
Noddy

Noting that the King of snake oil bullshit boasting is none other than yourself! You, a parasite on the arse of the motor trade, with no trade qualifications to speak of, trying to pretend you are an *authority* on rust prevention processes! FFS, you only ever attended a hobby course at Richmond TAFE in vehicle body repair and spray painting and now you're trying to make yourself out as a *experience professional*? Don't make me laugh Darren.

Reply to
Xeno

If they did work they would be very popular in places like the UK or Nth America where they get snow and ice on the roads treated with salt and they don't seem to be popular in those places.

Reply to
Daryl

Noddy snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote

Canada proves that that is a lie.

Reply to
Rod Speed

its Exist device that help to prevent RUST ...

Reply to
floffy

All Canada has ever proved is that people can survive in minus 40 degree temperatures, and all you ever continue to prove is that you're a f****ng idiot who will comment regardless of whether you know anything about what's being discussed or not.

Just do the world a massive favour and shut the f*ck up.

Reply to
Noddy

Talking to yourself now?

Advice you'd do well to follow yourself you incompetent clown.

Reply to
Clocky

Sounds like Kevvy is one of those dudes who asks for opinions and then shoots them all to shit when they don't support his own beliefs.

Just go ahead and do your testing Kev. Sounds like you have little else to amuse yourself with....

Reply to
Noddy

I was wondering the same thing.

Sounds like he's trying to treat some older trucks that already have rust issues and I don't think that those devices are going to be much help on a vehicle that already has significant rust. The XD panelvan that I owned many years ago had quite a bit of rust in the bottom of the doors when I bought it, I cleared the blocked drain holes, got rid of as much of the surface rust as possible then treated the area with fish oil which stopped the rust from getting any worse.

Reply to
Daryl

Better than being one of those dudes who lies continually and makes self aggrandising claims all the time. Know anyone like that Darren? Gaze into any nearby mirror!

Reply to
Xeno

The question I asked was:

Anyone know of existing DIY projects or authoritative proof that it doesn't (or does!) work?

I didn't want opinions, I wanted authoritative proof. I did find some of that in the Canadian tests, saying that the devices do work, though I _am_ still skeptical. You told me experiments had been tried and failed, but no references to who/what/when/where.

I also thought there might have been DIY projects online or in magazines, but it seems not.

I've always got rust repairs to amuse myself with.

Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

I don't think they'll be much help on anything.

Reply to
Noddy

"Corrosion - entire vehicle" is their term for it.

No, of course I'm not willing to forgo tried and tested methods. I'm willing to do a test on scrap metal because it seems nobody has published such tests except those ones you call sketchy which say it works. Either way I'll still keep treating any rust I encounter conventionally.

It'll be a fun electronics experiment. One of my more practical ones overall.

Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

Is English not your first language or something? Read the article. Again. The very first sentence states:

Pay attention to the salient point: "Western Australian authorities proved the products don't work".

Do you not get this, or do you just think they're making it up?

Proving something doesn't work is a little more than just disputing the theory.

Reply to
Noddy

Yeah, it's a generic description for finding rust in more than one place :)

Yeah, I don't think so, but anyway. It would seem that the lack of any success stories about this shit tells you nothing.

<shrug>
Reply to
Noddy

Huge LOL!

So what does not being able to find anything on your fabled business, qualifications, property ownership etc etc etc tell everyone Fraudster?

What a buffoon you are.

alvey

Reply to
OldIron