Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

How is "pretrigger recording" going to happen when the event you're looking is a one-shot event. Where will the data before the one-shot trigger be stored?

Reply to
The Phantom

Please explain how a delaying timebase could allow one to see events before (and I mean much more than a delay line's worth of "before") the trigger event if the trigger event is a one-shot event; no periodic waveforms involved.

advantage

Reply to
The Phantom

that?

Why weren't you able to do what you wanted to do with a digital scope? What model digital scope was it?

Go have a look over on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

advantage

Reply to
The Phantom

Chicken anonymous alias the Phantom cried:

That is actually just the same as storage. you do not even need a trigger, just log everything for a day. No need even for a scope, just store it in some memory, All you need is a counter, some ADC, and FLASH or whatever :-) Because now you are talking about times > milliseconds. For anything shorter, as Tim pointed out, use a reel of coax :-) But get of the heroine habit first to be able to pay for it :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You're scrambling to recover now. What model analog scope which you used when you were growing up was capable of storing many megabytes of data sampled at even as low as 4 gigasamples/second?

Reply to
The Phantom

So, let's see. A moderate priced DSO, the Agilent 6000 series, can store 8 million points of data with a sample rate of 2 gigasamples/second. If the propagation speed through the cable is the speed of light (1 foot/ns), we would need 4,000,000 feet of coax to do the job. With a more realistic propagation velocity, this is something like 500 miles of coax. How many analog storage scopes used this technique?

Reply to
The Phantom

No, you are wrong again. I have never heard of DimBulb.

Yes my ignorant friend, but you are seeking to distort the right to freedom of information with the right to privacy.

Reply to
fritz

Dunno, probably none. But notice my post concerned pre-trigger data (quote retained above), which can be obtained for a short period (100s ns?) without

*too* much cable.

Trying to bring that into the storage domain would be difficult at least. Even for hardline, HF loss on long lengths gets considerable, which suggests zobel filters to correct it, weakening the signal and probably adding lots of even harder to compensate group delay. And this says nothing of trying to regenerate the signal without distortion for more than a few cycles through the line, something which can only be done consistently with an ADC-buffer-DAC. It is for this absurdity that I inserted a "wink" smiley, which should be clearly visible.

Anyways, analog storage scopes used fancy CRTs, which allows a spacial representation, much easier to maintain an image despite distortion.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Calling me ignorant and stupid does not enhance your argument.

Nevertheless it is an accurate description of you.

If you have thought about this for many years and come to the conclusion that you are totally opposed [to all government] censorship then you are not very bright.

You are distorting the censorship debate by introducing what is obviously irrelevant.

That is so silly as to be laughable.

Access to information is controlled all the time. For instance, I am not going to have access to nuclear launch codes. If I have a Top Secret Security Clearance I am automatically going along with the concept of government censorship and not pass along government information to others.

When a person enters an airport they are immediately in a censored state. Perhaps you think that every single person SHOULD be allowed to go into an airplane and start saying whatever they want like "I have a bomb", but that will pretty much get you tossed in prison without very many people (except perhaps you) wringing their hands about excessive government censorship.

For f*ck's sake, grow up and stop confusing censorship with security.

And to think you have spent countless years thinking about this stuff and none of these simple ideas ever crossed your mind???? I have only been thinking about this for a few hours and already I can realize that no government censorship at all is a really really simple minded idea.

Think about it a bit further, it might take someone like you longer to understand why censoring Internet sites is the opposite of freedom.

Reply to
fritz

On a sunny day (9 Apr 2010 05:21:01 -0500) it happened The Phantom wrote in :

In the early days there were no scopes. We counted the samples by hand, and carved the values in rock. Much longer preserved and better data integrity than FLASH. hehe You are changing subject, read what I wrote, and if you cannot live with that,m you are free to opt out,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Do you know anything about electronics?

John

It's hard to store much information in an electromagnetic delay line. The losses kill you.

It would be an interesting calculation to see how many bits you could store in any preferred length of, say, RG58.

Fiber is a different story. You can stuff gigabits per second into a hundred kilometers of single-mode fiber and recover it perfectly.

But RAM is a more sensible way to store information.

We have a couple of spools, or rigid coils actually, of half-inch hardline coax in our lab, 50 ns ballpark. They make handy zero-jitter pretrigger delays for sampling scope situations. But the pulse that comes out the end is clearly degraded from what goes in.

We also have a couple of Tek 7M11 delay-line plugins, which can be used standalone. It's dual-channel, 75 ns per, 2 GHz bw. They give up half the signal so that they can equalize for the losses.

John

that?

He probably refers to zooming in on the next recurrence of a periodic waveform. But signal period jitter and scope delaying timebase jitter can be nasty. Classic delayed sweeps and sampling scope timebases run in the ballpark of one part jitter in 20,000 to 50,000 of the delay time.

John

A second hand SS-7847A (Lecroy LA314H) is likely to be newer, better and cheaper than a Tek 2465. Just check Ebay.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yes i do, it was my first career choice, then I realized the big money was not going to come your way if you called yourself an engineer. Sad but true...

Reply to
fritz

So what do you call yourself now?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

If you said anything sensible about electronics, properly bottom posted, I would.

John

So, are you enjoying the big money?

John

Financial Controller, Try it, you will make a lot more bucks...

Reply to
fritz

Yes, I sold my soul but.

Reply to