Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

= Dreamer. You should use less wild and crazy drugs though, too much = wild hallucination.

Haven't you noticed "government intervention part" mentioned above?

Point being "cost" does not make any difference. After the product is manufactured "cost" is a lost money anyway. All you can do is to attempt to sell for as much compensation as you can.

"Cost" affects the decision to manufacture or not to manufacture the particular products.

= Show me a true Adam Smith style market. There hasn't been one in the = USA for over a century and a half.

There has not been one ever, AFAIK. However it does not matter.

--
Andrew
Reply to

No, I wouldn't own a liberal if they were free. You're stupid, right?

They didn't "give" their customers anything. They *sold* them a 50MHz scope advertised as a 50MHz scope. It may (or not) perform better than advertised, but that's not fraud by any stretch of a sane person's mind. You're stupid, right?

I didn't pay for a Ferrari, I wouldn't expect a Ferrari. You're proving my point, here. You're stupid, right?

You're stupid, right?

Reply to
krw

As do we. Our upper end base unit does have a couple of bucks worth of op-amps that the less expensive model doesn't have but the mobile units are identical except for the firmware. There are more protections to prevent upgrading than Riogol used, however.

This was mentioned before, but I worked on the crypto stuff that IBM used in their mainframes to enable processors based on customer payments. If they needed more compute power for year-end statement processing (or whatever) they'd pay for more CPUs and the key to use those computers, for the time of the payment, was sent to the crypto unit to unlock the processors. A complete complement of processors was shipped in every box and only the software configuration determined how many the customer could use (two to ten). As a bonus, if one processor fell over another would pick up where it left off with no additional payment required. I guess that was fraud, too.

Reply to
krw

OK then, Phil is a warm caring human being with a deep respect for his fellow man - except when he isn't. Unfortunately that is most of the time, especially when some-one disagrees with him.

Reply to
keithr

Depends on your definition of "hard earned." Agilent, like Keithley and most of the appliance sellers in this country, is cashing in on their name by grossly marking up Chinese products. I don't know if Tek's scopes are really Tek-designed, but most are made in China these days.

When we don't make anything any more, we can survive by selling one another insurance, or working for the government.

John

Probably because I'm very happy with my 1052 and think it's an amazing

50 MHz scope for the money.

What kind of scope did you last buy?

John

...and I'm guessing that when you plug a mobile unit into a PC via the mini-USB connector, at least you guys used your own vendor/product ID so that even if you are just using, e.g., an FTDI chip in there, Windows doesn't "conveniently" install the serial port driver for you!

(We do that on our products, not because we have anything to protect, but just because it's a lot easier when troubleshooting with customers to tell them to look at "XYZ Corp USB Widget" rather than a generic "FTDI serial port" or whatever and we know exactly which version of the drivers our "XYZ Corp" install disk is using whereas Windows tries to be smart and updates them from time to time, which on occasion can cause problems.)

We have a multi-slot charger that has the ability to send programming parameters, update firmware, etc. to a unit in any one of the slots, but we officially only support programming in slot #1 (and the slikscreen even says, "programming, this slot only" on it) -- this happened after a long internal debate over whether or not end-users were, um, "sophiticated" enough to get some benefit out of being able to program in any slot vs. the extra support calls from those who were telling the software to program a unit in, say, slot #6 when they'd actually inserted their unit into slot #3 and couldn't figure out why they kept getting error messages.

The "this could be a whole lot of extra support problem" argument eventually won out.

There is, however, a magic phrase you can type to "unlock" the ability to program through any slot -- all the hardware and software to make this happen was done by the time the internal discussion had been settled. The manufacturing guys use this so that they can just load up all the slots with units, they start loading new firmware, and by the time they finish loading the last slot, it's usually been long enough that they can go back and remove the first on and keep going.

That's a pretty good model.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I think the cut here is that amateurs, who penny-pinch on gear, are outraged by Rigol's actions, and professionals, who design and buy and sell electronic instruments, think they are being perfectly ethical and reasonable.

The amateurs mostly don't need a 100 MHz scope anyhow, and should be (and aren't) grateful that Rigol sells the 1052 for around $500. I bought the 50 MHz version to use in my office because that's fine for most uses.

John

Sure. Didn't you try it? The TI DSP runs the USB port.

Never foolproof anything. All you do is create bigger fools.

Good idea. It also kicks the decision whether to support all slots down the road as far as possible. I don't like painting myself into a corner either.

It solved a *lot* of problems. The development team referred to it as "Dial-A-MIP". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Shun Allison. The simplest solution... unless you have a need for a personal ego trip satisfied only by putting down ignorami. ...Jim Thompson

No. We had them for a long enough time that we could have, but had a rather rushed evaluation as we'd just let them sit around for a few days and then got an unexpected call from the place that had loaned them to us... telling us we had them return them in the next day or two, as they had an Actual Paying Customer who needed them for a show. Hence our evaluation was confined to playing with the base station and belt packs; we didn't plug a computer into either of them.

Still, in that limited period of time lots of nice things were said about them-- in general they work quite well, certainly; they're a huge improvement over the old wired "party line" style intercom system I used in stage crew some decades back!

Yep, agreed. I've known programmers and designers who get way too hung up on, "I have to know exactly EVERY LAST BIT of a spec before I can do ANYTHING," and they're just no fun to work with -- especially given how I've never worked on a project of any significant complexity where there weren't various spec changes between the beginning and end of the project anyway.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

There's a rather major announcement/demonstration coming at NAB next week. It's "only" firmware, but it's really cute. Did you notice that our partner was bought out? ...a little scary.

I don't like the opposite either; no specs - wing it. Whatever happens it's then the engineer's fault for having a defective Ouija board.

Reply to
krw

..

to=20

the

Bog, have you never heard of per unit costs? Part of which is called = BOM?

Reply to
JosephKK

message=20

house=20

day you=20

=20

Your=20

of his=20

having=20

couch in=20

that door?

Perhaps the cost of the supporting hardware and algorithm development did= =20 not look attractive in comparison to the varactor method.

Reply to
JosephKK

message=20

=20

Bwahahahaha. That tidbit is kind of common knowledge around here = (s.e.d).

=46or some real interesting times go really hunting for fast analog = scopes,=20 they are available, though not inexpensive. 500 MHz is still reasonably=20 available, for about the price of a modest car.

Reply to
JosephKK

Great, I'll "watch" for it.

No, I hadn't -- just tracked down the announcement now. That is intriguing! Sounds like the new owners might be more focused on all this wireless stuff than the old ones, though, which could be beneficial. The new guys provided the wireless intercom systems that I used some twenty-some-odd years ago as McDonalds burger flipper; they must be doing something right to still be around, I expect.

Yes... you need a spec so that it's easy to document why the project schedule is slipping. "See, you changed the project spec last Monday, and the Tuesday before that, and then again yesterday afternoon, and..." :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Tek 7103s and 7104s, 1 GHz analog scopes with microchannel plate CRTs, are fairly cheap on the used market.

An 11801 sampler with a 12 GHz head can be had for under $2K. Nice scopes.

John

you

having

in

The 1052 already has user-programmable lowpass/highpass/bandpass digital filtering. Pretty cool.

John

liberal

he=20

That was then, this is now.

Reply to
JosephKK

I expect there are many who would willingly flatten that burr if philthy was available

Reply to
atec7 7