Recommendations for inexpensive DSO

I know that this topic comes up regularly, but now that it looks like SWMBO is going to let us invest in a small oscilloscope. So, what is everyone's present recommendation? I know that Joerg likes the Instek, and that the Rigol has recently come up. Which models? And, where (besides Ebay) is a good place to find them at a good price!

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I'm pretty happy with my Rigol DS1052E. I bought it from a regular dealer for roughly $550 or some such.

John

My Instek GDS-2204 is almost $2k, probably a bit much. One of my clients bought the GDS-1022 which back then (last year) was on sale at Wattsupply for $419.

I had bought mine via Newark but it came from Farnell-UK. With a genuine big Bri'ish power plug :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Just took a look, the 40MHz 2-ch (GDS-1042) is on sale now:

?it=A&id=1954&sc=28&category=17880

A 100MHz bandwidth DSO would be more practical though if you can find a good deal on one. Depends on what you want to do with it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My Rigol (2 ch. 50 MHz.) arrived just the other day. I got it from Hong Kong for $404 delivered. The manual is in Chinesse? and I had to add my own power cord. I built a mic/ transistor amp and my son and I had a great time making noises and looking at the simultaneous time and FFT display. The FFT looks the same as from a TEK, it averages

256 traces which is nice. Only 'issue' I have is that the nice long memeory depth means that at slow scan rates it takes a long time to update. I haven't played with the digital filters much yet, but they look neat.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The Rigol DS1052E is still the best value on the market IMO. It's only $385 here:

See my old review and teardown:
and

It can be upgraded to the 100MHz model with just a serial cable:

and

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

?it=A&id=1954&sc=28&category=17880

The Rigol is over $100 cheaper, has 1GS/s and 1Mpoint of memory vs 250MS/s and 4Kpoint, and can be upgraded to 100MHz for nix. Not much of a bang-per-buck contest really.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

d,

z-2-channel-digi...

UI

..

..

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

log.com

Hi Dave,

Have you actually dealt with dealexcel.com? They seem to be fairly anonymous.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

No, but several trusted viewers on my eevblog forum have bought the Rigol scope from them without any troubles, they used the EMS postage option. And someone from DealExel is also posting on my forum and answering questions.

So they certainly sound like the real deal. The price is hard to argue with, and that apparntly includes wordwide shipping.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Does anybody have any experience with DealExcel? I have read they are crooks.

DealExtreme, however, are decent folks, and advertise the same scope for roughly the same price including worldwide shipping.

--
RoRo
Reply to

I saw some interesting prices recently for Owon:

JosephKK

Not personally, no. But several trusted members of my eevblog forum have bought the scope from them without hassles:

There is also someone from Dealexcel on the forum answering questions.

DealExtreme also have it back in stock for almost the same price:

Plenty of people have bought the scope from them.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Yup, I ordered mine from deal extreme. When it was a bit late in arriving they were helpful in getting the tracking from the Hong Kong post. (Replied to emails in about 24 hours.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Me too, it took nearly a month to arrive from when they said it had been shipped. The tracking number they originally supplied didn't work but they replied with a revised number (in less than 24 hours) with a new tracking number that showed it was in Edinburgh and out for delivery!

I bought mine on a whim with money that was sitting in my paypal account and can't believe the value for money, the best £270 I've spent in a long time. It feels like a quality product.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

I bought an Instek GDS2102 about four years ago and its a decent scope nice features at the time it was the best value for my dollar .

I think now though Rigol has the best bang for your buck and that's what I would buy now.

If I was looking for one again here is what I would buy under a grand! .

Rigol DS1202CA $901.52

200MHz 1Gs PER CHANNEL

Hammy

Just as a follow up, I have ordered one of the Rigols from China. Now, it is just a wating game to see when they ship it... ;-)

I have to thank everyone for their support, especially Joel who even offered to loan me a scope. I finally decided I should have my own tools, instead of getting loaners.

I also had a nice offer from a local instrument company for a 100MHz Tektronix, but it was still $200 more than the Rigol. It was also physically larger, and I don't have much bench space...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.