A good digital oscilloscope?

Hi all,

I think I'm going to try and treat myself to an oscilloscope this Christmas. I've managed to go without one for the last 15 years or so and, frankly, did not have a burning need or even much space for it. I do some digital design (PIC based mostly) - LED, motor controls and such and every once in a while I wish I has something to look at the signal with.

So, I've looked around and saw this name come up often: Rigol DS1102E

100MHz Digital Storage Oscilloscope. There is also a 50MHz version which is what I think I need. There has not been any need for me to look at 100MHz signals in a long time. I am not at all proficient with oscilloscopes and have never used a digital one. Last one I used had a round green screen :) which hints at how long ago that was... So flat(er) learning curve would be important for me.

Are there people here using this brand? Are they any good for use in digital designs and, most importantly for me at this point, easy to learn?

I guess, Rigol may not be the only ones making digital oscilloscopes these days. What other brands/models should I also look at?

Thanks for your suggestions!

------------------------------------- /_/ ((@v@)) ():::() VV-VV

Electronics Enthusiasts' Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.electronics.design - 359995 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

Also look at Owon (low end Tektronix)

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

If you need to look at digital signals above 10-20MHz, you really should buy a scope with more than a 100MHz bandwidth. I didn't think I would waste my time with a (new) scope with less than a 300MHz bandwidth. We have two Tek's at work and I try like hell to not use the 100MHz model.

Half of the scope is the probe. Make sure you don't chince here.

As far as operation, a scope is a scope unless it's Windoze based. Features may be easier on one than another but the essential controls are all pretty much the same.

Nope, I do Tek's. Right about now, Ebay is your friend.

Reply to
krw

For embedded software work, channel count is more important than speed. Unless you're debugging boards with really fast processors a 100MHz scope is enough.

Because I could justify it by the job it was bought for, I have an Agilent mixed-signal scope, the one with a couple of scope channels and

16 logic analyzer channels. It is _way cool_ for mixed signals into a processor, but someone who needed a good logic analyzer would sneer at it, as would someone who needed a really good, really fast analog scope.
--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

DA schrieb:

[...]

Dave Jones' EEVblog #37

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Go for 100 MHz. That's the minimum for dealing with digital logic these days.

John

Instek is another brand. Got the GDS-2204, love it. Bought a lower end one for a client, they like it as well. Mostly because they don't nickel and dime you for the PC-support SW, it's a free download.

As John wrote, go for higher bandwidth. I'd rather have a high bandwidth and only two channels rather than mediocre BW and four channels.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just an FYI on Tektronix; they are planning to move production from Beaverton,Oregon to China.

More US jobs lost.

Also,Danaher,owner of Fluke,now owns TEK. On their website is the notice about moving production.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hmm, we bought a cheap owon, (Shipped off to live in Europe for trade shows.) I wasn't impressed. The Rigol sounds better, But I've never used one.... Xmas is here and I did get a bonus this year???

George H.

Nico Coesel wrote:

Reply to
George Herold

Speaking of TEK, I hate the interface on their new low-end 'scopes. You turn the voltage or time base knob and the first click does nothing! It's like you have to wake the 'scope up first and then it will pay attention.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There is not much use looking at any signal over 100MHz with a normal probe even if it is specified for 200MHz or more. The input capacitance of the probe (even in 1:10 mode) is loading signals over

100MHz way too much.
                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

I agree. I have a seperate logic analyzer, digital storage scope and a high frequency analog scope. All have their proper uses. I have been using older Agilent mixed signal oscilloscopes (5xxxx series) but I wasn't impressed by the trigger possibilities.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

They haven't moved eBay to China yet.

Reply to
krw

,
?

As someone else mentioned, see my blog for a review and a tear down of the Rigol DS1052E. As far as bang-per-buck goes, the Rigol DS1052E cannot be beat, it is now under US$400.

There is much talk about it on the EEVblog forum also.

Dave.

David L. Jones
[snippety snip]

Oh, and thanks for adding the explanation of a "crow probe." I did google a bit and discovered that "crows are predominately right-handed in their production of tools" [Britannica] but that didn't seem to fit the circumstances. CRO got it. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Active Fet probes? I got a nice set for the 350mhz tek scope..

Reply to
Jamie

And yes, we still say it for non CRT scopes too!

And remember too, it's "sole-der", not "sodder" :-P

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I never was too impressed with digital scopes. None of them have nearly enough buttons, so you spend all your time wading through menus. The Rigol I've used (don't remember the number) has awful menus, they are not always quite what they say they are, and they take forever to go away.

Some digital scopes have better refresh than others. The HP (Agilent??)

54622D's in all the labs at school here work fairly well, though at least two button presses are required to reach any given menu option. Refresh is okay, though still chunky on slower sweeps (>1ms/div).

My impression of the cheapass Tek TDS's (the thin rectangular ones) is similar to the Rigol.

I'm most familiar with my Tek 475, but it would be nice to have storage, single sweep* and averaging. One of those intermediate scopes, the ones with analog AND digital, they're perfect for everything.

*Just because it's an analog scope doesn't mean you don't get storage or single sweep type readings, it just means it takes more setup. This photograph was taken with a 10 second exposure, capturing three photoflash discharges:

Tim

Tim Williams

I like my TDS2012. I rarely use an analog scope any more.

John

I'll sell you a Tektronix 500MHz 1GSa/S TDS540 for $800 + shipping. :)

Reply to
JW