Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

I can only agree. The govt valuation is ludicrously low.

IMHO the govt has just raised this whole scheme as a matter to squash criticism of their inaction (and lampoon the previous govt for theirs).

They know full well that it will take years to pass legislation, find corporate partners, fund, and implement. They will be long gone from office before anything meaningful is done.

In the meantime the telcos will carry on rolling out fibre links on an as required basis.

No wonder the rest of the world is supposedly watching this with great interest, and probably wondering if fairy tales really do come true.

To top if off, my understandiing is that about 50% of broadband users currently chose speeds no greater than 256, so how do they expect different takeup rates with the ovekill speeds of the new system?

It's a joke.

Rob

Reply to
me here

It's a joke to think users are happy with what they currently pay for 256k. And a bigger joke to think that most don't really want more speed and higher download limits for less money, like most of the developed world.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

me here wrote

I think its more that they were so stupid/pig ignorant that they made the election promise and then discovered that it wasnt going to be possible to deliver that they promised, so the dud was actually stupid enough to turn that into FTTP and was so stupid that he didnt realise that that wasnt deliverable.

Not for the first time either, he hasnt been able to deliver on his election promise on hospitals or 'the homeless' either or on a host of other stuff like new houses etc etc etc.

I doubt they did when they were stupid enough to turn the election promise into FTTP.

Very likely, but I doubt that was deliberate.

Be interesting to see if they do much of that anymore.

interest,

Bet they dont even know what the dud is proposing.

Correct, tho they presumably would be happy to sign up for FTTP if say the govt spent the $43B from the Future Fund on it and offered them FTTP for the same price as they are currently paying for 256.

Corse its very arguable whether that $43B wouldnt be much better spent on hospitals etc instead.

It is indeed. Nothing new with politicians tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not from what I see on a GB/month basis.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

:>>> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually: :>>>

:>>> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory. :>>>

:>>> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph. :>>>

:>>> Cheers Don... :>>>

:>>>

:>>>

:>> One thing you will notice about the countries with very high speed :>> internet - they are all small with high population. Much easier and :>> cheaper to provide high speed broadband to a reasonable slab of the :>> population in those circumstances. I wonder what level of access people :>> in say rural France have though. At least in Australia, most people in :>> major cities have access to 8MBps (although very few opt for faster than :>> 512K), and most people in rural towns have access to 1.5MBps. Thanks to :>> the government assistance, people on farms etc have access to 256-512kBps :>> via satellite which is a damned site better than what they could get :>> through phone lines. We still have some way to go, but personally I'd :>> prefer to make 1.5MBps available to anyone who wants it, rather than :>> having some people in some cities with 60M and regional areas / people :>> with pair gain etc with 14-33K. :>>

:>

:> Fuck that, why should my internet experience be limited because of the :> tiny percentage of the populus who choose to live in the middle of :> nowhere? :I've never been to Perth or Hobart and only visit Adelaide roughly once a :year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory none of the Capital cities :have Uranium/Gold/Iron/Coal etc mines in the middle of them and I believe :that most of the food growing areas are outside the cities. That being the :case it's hard to see what the Capital cities do other than consume our :products, produce copious pollution and provide services to support the :productive regions of Australia that keep people like you in a comfortable :lifestyle. : :Somewhere in the world there is a village short of its idiot, please feel :free to take up the vacancy.

Very well said Phil.

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=