DSE

From the look of their ad in SC this month, DSE are getting rid of the last of their components. Well at least Jaycar are opening up in Coffs.

Reply to
keithr

I just tried the home page and severals variants of it, I found on google, but none connect:

did they get rid of their on line shop also?

Perhaps they didn't pay the bill, like micro$oft did a few years back. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html

Coupon Specials:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/coupon-specials.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

In the latest ad they advertise the web address as

But that doesn't work either. Some geek screwed up a domain server change-over perhaps?

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

the thot plinkens

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html

Coupon Specials:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/coupon-specials.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I am sorry to see them go. DSE in Batemans Bay was the only source for components that could be called "local" , they had a useful range and what was in the drawers almost always matched what the computer said they had. The staff were helpful and seemed equally willing to hunt down a few resistors or a laser printer. I have nothing but praise for them.

Reply to
L.A.T.

Some parts are still working

Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070
Reply to
qmod

When we were on holiday in the Sunshine Coast (QLD) a couple of weeks back, the DSE we saw there at Maroochydore was absolutely woeful in every way, especially when it comes to components. (empty or nearly empty component trays all over the place). I was extremely pissed off as I had been trying to source a quantity of the screw terminal strips, (part: P4850)

2 other DSE's in different towns I had tried in other areas had none, and this DSE had only one. (Haymans want $12.50 each for equivalent) (About the only good thing about this store for die hard Dick Smith fanatics, they still had the old "Dick Head" signage out the back of the store facing the customer car park. They might have had it out the front too, but I didnt bother to look.

Quite by accident, we discovered a Jaycar a few KM away. It was stunning in presentation, shop fit-out, and the staff seemed helpful from what I saw of them. Would have easily had 400% of the floor area of the DSE and had an excellent stock (by todays standars) of electronic components, books, kits and other such gear that has been steadily disappearing over the years elsewhere. I would have spent more time there, but anyone else here who is married will know why I didnt ;)

They of course, had a section of "fart" type devices, electric shock toys and a "shoe stink deodoriser" ;), and they DID have the terminal strips. I bought 30 of them, don't want to get caught short again !

While I don't work for Jaycar, and rarely go there (as there isn't one anywhere near where I live, only DSE), if this store is anything to go by, they are going in the opposite direction to Dicky's when it comes to parts, which should be good news for anyone on here who needs these kind of retailers.

Reply to
KR

DSE gone from a useful to hopeless store. Our business use to spend around $1k a month there and we used to get a trade discount. DSE put a heap of dumb know nothing about anything sheilas in and would not give us any discount. I would have thought a $1k a month regular no nonsense pay cash customer was worthwhile. Never been back and opened an account at Electus.

Reply to
Neil Pearal

The only factor that indicates a stores success is it's return to shareholders.

Reply to
Davo

You sound surprised. DSE is trying to convert to consumer electronics only. They don't mind losing your business because they don't intend to continue supplying you anyway.

Reply to
John