$399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

$399, how can you go wrong?

I just picked up 2 at the 12:00 sale. asus eeepc 1000HE, 9 hour battery life. and it is one of the best netbooks around.

Geez, how much are Asus making them for? What does Micro$oft charge Asus for XP?

Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:

Don McKenzie

Thanks Don I just nabbed one for a present, gotta love spur of the moment decisons! Anyone have any idea how long typical shipping takes from this mob?, they say 7-10 days. Hoping to get it by next Friday...

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I think last time for me, it was 8 days, so you may be lucky Dave.

I have made many purchases from them, but I never got anything in 3 or 4 days. :-(

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks, fingers crossed. Who do they use for shipping?

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Sorry, can't recall Dave, I get too many things shipped to me. I think it takes 3 or 4 days before they notify you that the goods have been sent, so it isn't speedy.

see what they are saying on their page right now:

1100 Netbooks sold in just over an hour and a half of sales! Just to be fair to all of our evening customers, we are releasing the next batch at 7pm(AEST) and the final batch at 11pm(AEST). Make sure you're here for the next batch at 7pm(AEST) so you don't miss out on this fantastic deal!

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Insane! How many of these things do they have? And do they actually have them in stock or are they drop-shipped? With this many I think my odds of getting it next week are close to zip.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I got on of these back in June of this year, and it was shipped from them in Oz. Mind you, it may well have been couriered in from Asia, like Dell do it. Thus the 8 or so days.

Actually, I just chased back in my emails: I ordered the same product on 19-Jun-2009 then got the following message on the 23-June-2009: Your order 478627 has been dispatched with Australia Post. Please allow

3-9 business days for delivery.

So that's 4 days from order to dispatch date, and Oz post after that.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Good catch Don! I just got one for my wife, I paid just over $600 for mine 5 months ago.

Reply to
keithr

A full 10" screen eh....

I've seen a 13" wide screen HP and even banging up a notch the DPI to 120 it is only just readable.

So the question is, how usable is it?

Reply to
son of a bitch

I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem with it is the tiny shift key.

The claimed 9 hour battery life may be a bit expectant though, I've never managed much better than 6 hours with the screen turned down, WiFi, camera and bluetooth turned off, and the CPU at the lowest clock speed. Realistically with WiFi on the battery lasts 4 hours give or take.

I have put a 2 gig DIMM in in place of the 1 gig supplied.

Reply to
keithr

Looks like they may be end of life. Just got a promo from CentreCom who have them for $419 down from $469

Acacia

Probably goes some ways to explaining the decrease in battery life.

Reply to
Clocky

Thanks for the tip Don, I just ordered mine.

Reply to
Clocky

Great, mine was $619 in June.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

That is the older H version, has the old keyboard and shorter battery life.

The HE is an upgrade to the H family.

Cheers Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:

Don McKenzie

I got 4 of the old 7" models, and they were really just a toy.

I'm now into my 4th 10", and they are really sweet.

I am 66, and have worn glasses since I was 24, so I feel they are very workable. For traveling, they are ideal.

I have run my business on them during PC downtime, and maintenance periods. I have one PC down right now. Windows XP update went wacky, and we may have to back up from acronis, or re-install xp. The joys of windows. :-)

Asus also has a stand alone mini-PC called the Ebox B202:

well this 1000HE is cheaper than that, and you can still plug in a large screen, keyboard, and mouse. Netbook screen can then be switched off, and case shut, if you wish.

These things aren't lightning fast, but they tackle most jobs that most people need.

Step up the CPU grunt, and screen res, and they will replace PC's as we know them.

Netbooks have only been around 2 years. Another 2 years, we will see even more dramatic changes in the PC market. Netbooks now outsell standard notebooks. Go Google.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

:> I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem :> with it is the tiny shift key. :>

:> The claimed 9 hour battery life may be a bit expectant though, I've :> never managed much better than 6 hours with the screen turned down, :> WiFi, camera and bluetooth turned off, and the CPU at the lowest clock :> speed. Realistically with WiFi on the battery lasts 4 hours give or :> take. :> I have put a 2 gig DIMM in in place of the 1 gig supplied. : :Probably goes some ways to explaining the decrease in battery life.

Would RAM really chew that much extra power though?

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Je=DFus?=

Very unlikely, SODIMM RAM uses very little power

Reply to
keithr

If you say so. Then again, if you step up the CPU specs, and screen resolution (presumably with a bigger screen to match), you end up with... a laptop.

I've never seen the appeal of such tiny screens and even tiner keyboards (which can be flat out unusable for those of us with fat clumsy fingers :-) )

Especially given the full size laptop w/ 2.2GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, DVD burner and 15.6" screen I'm typing this on cost me $598 brand new. I also got to pick it up in person an hour after ordering it instead of waiting 8 days.

And I've just checked, they're now selling them for $558. Bastards!

Cheers, Andy.

Reply to
Andy

m=20

ck

Wouldn't make that much difference

More memory will use more juice, but your saving less access to the disk and the disk would be powered down more often. So it sort of balances out.

Reply to
son of a bitch