My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

You aren't going to believe this...

I recently reviewed the new Microchip PICkit3 compared to the old PICkit2 and pretty much hammered the people responsible on behalf of those who have found the PICkit3 upgrade rather lacking:

At it turns out, not surprisingly the video made it's way all around the Microchip offices, even to the desk of their CEO. As with any multi billion dollar corporation, I expected either deathly silence or a nasty letter from their lawyers.

But it turns out Microchip really do care about their products and customers, and really do listen, so they seriously took it as constructive criticism.

So not only was my blog well received at Microchip, I got a lengthy call from none other than the Microchip CEO Steve Sanghi, thanking me for the blog and raising the issues. He pointed out a few factual errors which was fair enough, but admitted they could have done the PICkit 3 better and most importantly are working to fix the issues and give customers what they expect.

They have even posted this hillarious video response in record time:

I am absolutely blown away by their honesty and responsiveness, and it starts from their CEO down. Two thumbs up to Steve Sanghi and the guys and gals at Microchip!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

**Nice one Dave.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The power of one person (Dave) Well done!!

JERD

Reply to
JERD

I'll take a look at the PIC for my next project.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

You can add Altera to the list, I received an email from them about some issues I had with their website. Many people lurk here.

Martin Riddle

I belive it. I've been to Microchip in Arizona, presented at the Masters Conference and met several of their guys (working on the dsPic architecture). They are very responsive and open. I even had one of my suggestions incorporated into the architecture.

Reply to
Swanny

David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

Absolutely hilarious ! :-) I enjoyed both videos. Good on ya Dave.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Very cool, Dave. BTW, I loved your #40 blog[0], but I'm worried that it could get you in trouble. Have your bosses discovered your blog yet?

[0] I've worked on several Doomed Projects myself.
   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Yes, my company is fully aware I do it, and I work within their blogging guidelines (yes, they actually encourage us to do this sort of thing). But all of those projects are from previous companies (now mostly folded), so no problem!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Dave, compliments of Spehro Pefhany, the MC PICkit3 story made it to the Piclist also:

Hope you can read it there without going through the login hoops

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"David L. Jones" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:a7nGm.354$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.iad...

Sadly also the Microchip Serial Memory Programmer now is supported by MPLAB only, the former standalone software SEEVAL32 (on the former programmer with a COM port) was handy and easier to use. see:

Anyhow the new product works fine and is cheap, and the Microchip response is funny, and lets hope for an SW upgrade for the PICKIT3 and maybe also for the serial memory programmer.

Does anybody use the pickit serial analyzer ?

By the way Dave, your video blog is excellent !

MIKE

--
www.oho-elektronik.de
OHO-Elektronik