LCD SERIAL - PIC16F84A

Hi I'm new here. and I am currently doing a project on Toxic Gas Release Alarm system using PIC.

I'm using PIC16f84a and I have used several I/O pins for LEDs, speakers & a/d converters. and only I/O 6 pins left for LCD. (R0A,RB3-RB7). I'm using LCD Serial port with 8 pads

any ideas how I can connect the LCD to the PIC without using all the pads? can i just connect the lcd to the pic with 3 connection? vcc,vdd and serial data (RB7)? will that work?

--------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on

zss

The interface for this display can be driven in 4 or 8 bit mode. In 4 bit mode you only need 6 pins.

Reply to
Marc Hillman

Which LCD are you talking about here ??

Normal LCD controllers do not have a serial port on them.

A serial to LCD backpack can be used but thats adding another CPU to the system.

A normal LCD panel will work with just 6 pins connected.

Four data pins [DB4-DB7] Two control pins R/C & E, with R/W pin pulled low.

Google for Hitachi Hd44780 controller specs and code available.

don

Reply to
don

No, see:

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

So there is no need for me to use a serial lcd then. I can just use the parallel 16x2 lcd eh. thanks guys! I didnt know that :). I'm new to this thing.haha

So, the next thing I need to learn is how to code the 4 bit mode lcd using assembly language. Any ideas where I can find any simple examples I can learn from? :)

I'm using MPLab IDE btw.

very much appreciated.